Aloo Capsicum or Aloo Shimla Mirch is a dry Indian curry made with stir fried Potatoes & Capsicum. It is a very simple dish as it is made with minimal spices or other ingredients.
Aloo Capsicum Curry is the perfect answer to the misconception that Indian recipes are hot and loaded with a lot of spices. There is no onion, garlic or ginger in this dish.
Aloo capsicum Sabzi is a good combination of tasty potatoes and tangy capsicum. It is mainly a North Indian dish, although is has become popular across all regions in India.
It is quick to cook and quite delectable. It can be taken with any kind of Indian bread like Phulkas, Puris or Parathas or enjoyed as a side dish with rice and dal. This is also a good option to pack in kid’s tiffin boxes.
To make Aloo Capsicum at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Aloo Beans – potato & green beans curry
- Aloo gobi – cauliflower & potato curry
- Aloo patta gobi – cabbage potato curry
- Aloo bhindi – okra & potato curry
- Aloo methi – potato & fenugreek leaves curry
- Aloo tamatar – potatoes cooked in a fresh tomato gravy
- Stuffed Capsicum – capsicum stuffed with potatoes
Suggested recipe collections :
- Indian Vegetarian Curries | A collection of 29 Indian Gravy Recipes
- Dry Vegetable Recipes | 15 Indian Sabzi Recipes | Sookhi Subzi
- Potato Recipes | 31 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
Category: Main Course
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Aloo Capsicum Recipe
- 3 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 2 Large Capsicum / Green Bell Pepper (Shimla Mirch)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (Namak) or as per taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Aloo Capsicum Recipe
Heat some oil in a pan or wok. Add Cumin Seeds (Jeera) when the oil becomes hot. Fry the Cumin Seeds for a few seconds till they start to splutter.
Add diced potatoes to the pan and shallow fry them in oil for a 2-3minutes.
Cover with a lid to cook the potatoes faster and keep stirring in between. Roast them till they start browning slightly.
Add diced capsicum to the pan and stir.
Add Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder and Garam Masala to the pan and cook for a few minutes till the Capsicum becomes soft.
Aloo Capsicum is ready. You can garnish with fresh Coriander Leaves and serve it along with Roti, Dal and Raita.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.