Aloo Gobi or Cauliflower & Potato Curry is a dry North Indian dish made with potatoes, cauliflower and a dash of spices. It is one of the most common and basic stir-fried vegetable dish which scores really well on taste and aroma.
Though it has its origin in North India, it now has a universal appeal and is a popular vegetable in Indian restaurants and dhabas. Its is a filling dish that is very easy to make using simple ingredients.
The fried potatoes and cauliflower with a blend of spices make up this traditional Indian dish and it tastes great with its tangy, spicy and salty flavor.
Its main flavor and aroma are due to ginger, red chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala. In winters it’s common to use an extra dose of ginger to make it more digestive. Other common ingredients may include coriander leaves, tomato, peas, and cumin.
This simple dry curry goes wonderfully with any Indian Bread like Roti or Paratha. It tastes even better when accompanied with a serving of Raita like Boondi Raita or Lauki Raita. It can also be relished with plain steamed rice usually along with Dal.
To make Aloo Gobi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Aloo Patta Gobi – cabbage potato curry
- Aloo Gobhi Methi Tuk – fenugreek, cauliflower & potato curry
- Aloo Methi – potato & fenugreek leaves curry
- Aloo Capsicum – potato & capsicum curry
- Aloo Beans – potato & green beans curry
- Aloo Bhindi – okra & potato curry
- Aloo Tamatar – potatoes cooked in a fresh tomato gravy
Suggested recipe collections :
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Aloo Gobi Recipe | Cauliflower & Potato Curry
Ingredients For Aloo Gobi Recipe | Cauliflower & Potato Curry
- 1 Medium Sized Cauliflower (Phool Gobi)
- 2 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 1 Inch Ginger, finely chopped
- 1-2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/4 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Aloo Gobi Recipe | Cauliflower & Potato Curry
- Take a cauliflower and cut it into medium sized florets. Wash and rinse them thoroughly and drain all the water in a colander.1 Medium Sized Cauliflower (Phool Gobi)
- Peel and dice potatoes into cubes.2 Medium Sized Potatoes
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and fry them till they start to splutter. Add heeng (asafoetida).1 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds), 1 Tablespoon Oil, 1/4 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- Add finely chopped ginger and green chilies. Cook them for a few seconds.1 Inch Ginger, finely chopped, 1-2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt.1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder), 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to Taste
- Add the diced potato & cauliflower florets to the pan.
- Mix to coat the vegetables with the spices. Then cover the pan with a lid and cook the vegetables on low heat.
- Stir occasionally till the potatoes turn soft, for about 15 minutes.
- After the vegetables are cooked add garam masala powder.1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- Mix well and cook for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and and freshly chopped coriander leaves.1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves
- Aloo Gobi Curry is ready. Serve it hot with roti or paratha and boondi raita or with rice and dal.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.