Aloo Gobi or Cauliflower & Potato Curry is a dry North Indian dish made with potatoes, cauliflower and a dash of spices. It is one of the most common and basic stir-fried vegetable dish which scores really well on taste and aroma.
Though it has its origin in North India, it now has a universal appeal and is a popular vegetable in Indian restaurants and dhabas. Its is a filling dish that is very easy to make using simple ingredients.
The fried potatoes and cauliflower with a blend of spices make up this traditional Indian dish and it tastes great with its tangy, spicy and salty flavor.
Its main flavor and aroma are due to ginger, red chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala. In winters it’s common to use an extra dose of ginger to make it more digestive. Other common ingredients may include coriander leaves, tomato, peas, and cumin.
This simple dry curry goes wonderfully with any Indian Bread like Roti or Paratha. It tastes even better when accompanied with a serving of Raita like Boondi Raita or Lauki Raita. It can also be relished with plain steamed rice usually along with Dal.
To make Aloo Gobi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Aloo Patta Gobi – cabbage potato curry
- Aloo Gobhi Methi Tuk – fenugreek, cauliflower & potato curry
- Aloo Methi – potato & fenugreek leaves curry
- Aloo Capsicum – potato & capsicum curry
- Aloo Beans – potato & green beans curry
- Aloo Bhindi – okra & potato curry
- Aloo Tamatar – potatoes cooked in a fresh tomato gravy
Suggested recipe collections :
- Indian Vegetarian Curries | A collection of 29 Indian Gravy Recipes
- Dry Vegetable Recipes | 15 Indian Sabzi Recipes | Sookhi Subzi
- Potato Recipes | 31 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
Category: Main Course
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Aloo Gobi Recipe
- 1 Medium SizedCauliflower (Phool Gobi)
- 2 Medium Sized Potatoes
- ~1 Inch Piece of Ginger, finely chopped
- 1-2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Haldi/Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Pinch Heeng/Asafoetida
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Aloo Gobi Recipe
Take a cauliflower and cut it into medium sized florets. Wash and rinse them thoroughly and drain all the water in a colander.
Peel and dice 2 medium sized potatoes into cubes.
Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds and fry them till they start to splutter. Add 1 pinch of Heeng (Asafoetida).
Add ~1 inch piece of finely chopped Ginger and 1-2 finely chopped Green Chilies. Cook them for a few seconds.
Then add 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder, 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder and 1 teaspoon Salt, or according to taste.
Add the diced potato & cauliflower florets to the pan.
Mix to coat the vegetables with the spices. Then cover the pan with a lid and cook the vegetables on low heat.
Stir occasionally till the potatoes turn soft, for about 15 minutes.
After the vegetables are cooked add 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder.
Mix well and cook for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and and 1/2 cup freshly chopped Coriander Leaves.
Aloo Gobi Curry is ready. Serve it hot with Roti/Paratha and Boondi Raita or with Rice and Dal.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.