Aloo Methi is a dry curry made with potatoes & fenugreek leaves. It is flavored with mild Indian spices.
Aloo Methi is quick and easy to cook and is a great comfort food. Cooking the slightly bitter Fenugreek Leaves along with the potatoes imparts a distinct flavor to the dish.
The dish combines the medicinal benefits of methi (fenugreek leaves) with the amazing taste of potatoes, and is a good way to include some greens in your kids diet.
To make Aloo Methi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Aloo Gobhi Methi Tuk – fenugreek, cauliflower & potato curry
- Aloo Gobhi – cauliflower & potato curry
- Aloo Patta Gobi – cabbage potato curry
- Aloo Capsicum – potato & capsicum curry
- Aloo Beans – potato & green beans curry
- Aloo Bhindi – okra & potato curry
- Methi Malai Matar – fenugreek & peas in a creamy gravy
Suggested recipe collections :
- Methi Recipes | 7 Indian Fenugreek Recipes
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Aloo Methi Recipe | Potatoes with Fenugreek Leaves
Ingredients For Aloo Methi Recipe | Potatoes with Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 Bunch (250 gm) Methi/ Fenugreek Leaves
- 3 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Aloo Methi Recipe | Potatoes with Fenugreek Leaves
- Wash and rinse the fenugreek (methi) and pick the leaves from the stem. Coarsely chop the leaves.1 Bunch (250 gm) Methi/ Fenugreek Leaves
- Wash, peel and dice the potatoes into cubes.3 Medium Sized Potatoes
- Heat oil in a pan. Add 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds) and roast them. Then add the diced potatoes and green chilies to the pan.1 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds), 2 Green Chillies
- Shallow fry the potatoes for 3-4 minutes, then add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder and salt.1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder), 3/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Mix to coat the potatoes in spices and cook them for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- The add the chopped methi leaves to the pan.
- Stir for around 3-4 minutes as the methi leaves will start leaving water.
- Cover the pan with a lid for 5-10 minutes till the potatoes are soft & cooked and the water from the methi leaves has dried out. Stir occasionally.
- Aloo Methi Sabzi is ready. Serve it hot with any Indian Bread like roti, chapati or puri and curd.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.