Dahi Aloo is a delicious and easy to prepare recipe of potatoes simmered in fresh curd and subtly flavoured with some basic Indian spices. Addition of curd not only lends a pleasantly sour taste to the dish but also makes it cool and comforting.
The ever popular potato finds its way into a variety of recipes and is an indispensable part of Indian cuisine. Dahi aloo is one of the simplest potato based Indian dishes.
This dish is many times said to have originated in Rajasthan, an Indian arid and desert state. In the past, low availability of green vegetables in the region, paved the way for a variety of novel and delicious dishes like dahi aloo.
Tips to prevent the yogurt from curdling
Yogurt is the most important component of this dish, however, a lot of time when adding yogurt to the curry, it starts to curdle when it’s cooked.
To prevent this from happening, make sure that the curd is not added at a very high temperature. It’s best to either reduce the heat to a low simmer or completely turn it off before adding the curd.
You can then add the curd in small batches and keep stirring the mixture continuously till it comes to a boil. Then add salt in the end. If you are still having issues, mix 1-2 spoons of besan (gram flour) with the curd to help stabilize it.
Dahi Aloo goes can be eaten with any Indian bread or rice. However its combination with puri, lachcha paratha or plain paratha is just relishing.
Since it is extremely quick & easy to make, it’s a great recipe for breakfast and is loved by both children and adults alike.
To make dahi aloo at home, follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
- Rajasthani Food | 16 Authentic Veg Rajasthani Recipes
Dahi Aloo Recipe
Ingredients For Dahi Aloo Recipe
- 3 Large Potatoes
- 1 Cup Curd (Yogurt)
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/3 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- 2/3 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dhania Powder (Coriander Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Saunth (Ginger Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kasuri Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Dahi Aloo Recipe
- Boil and peel 3 large potatoes.
- Coarsely crush the potatoes with your hand. You don’t have to mash the potatoes.
- Add 1 cup curd (yogurt) in a mixing bowl along with 1/2 cup water.
- Beat the curd and water mixture till smooth.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan over medium heat. When oil becomes hot add cumin seeds (jeera) and let them crackle. Then add heeng (asafoetida) and green chillies.
- Next add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder, coriander powder (dhania) and dry ginger powder (saunth). Roast the spices for a few seconds. Do not add salt at this stage.2/3 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Dhania Powder (Coriander Powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Saunth (Ginger Powder)
- Add the coarsely mashed potatoes to the pan.
- Stir to coat the potatoes in the spices and lightly roast them for a minute.
- Add 2 cups of water to the potatoes.
- Mix well and bring it to a boil. Then turn the heat to low.
- Add the beaten yogurt to the pan in small spoonfuls while stirring the mixture, so the yogurt does not curdle.
- Keep stirring continuously and bring the mixture to a boil. Then add in salt and mix well.
- Sprinkle some kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) on the top.
- Add chopped coriander leaves to the curry and mix well.
- Dahi Aloo are ready. Serve them hot with any Indian bread like paratha, puri or roti.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.