Dalia khichdi is a delicious one pot meal made from broken wheat, moong dal (yellow lentil) and vegetables. It’s incredible light and healthy and is one of the simplest recipes to make.
The consistency of daliya khichdi is very soft which makes it easy for kids to swallow and is also a perfect comfort food, more so during winters.
Another common preparation made with dalia is daliya kheer, which is a sweet pudding made with daliya and milk and is a healthy alternative to traditional kheer.
High in nutrients
Dalia khichdi is high in nutrition as broken wheat and pulses make it rich in protein, fiber and iron. Dalia which is cracked and unpolished wheat is a good source of dietary fibre.
Addition vegetables like louki (ghiya / bottle gourd), carrots and fresh peas further enhance its taste and nutritional value. This dish is perfectly suited for those who wish to keep the breakfast healthy as well as tasty.
You can also add tomato & onion to the recipe if you want. However I have found that daliya khichdi tastes better without them, so I have posted a no onion no garlic recipe.
To make Vegetable Dalia Khichdi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Dalia Recipe | Dalia Khichdi | Masala Vegetable Daliya
Ingredients For Dalia Recipe | Dalia Khichdi | Masala Vegetable Daliya
- 1 Cup Daliya (Broken Wheat)
- 1/4 Cup Moong Dal (Yellow)
- 1 Small Potato
- 1 Carrot
- 1/2 Louki (Ghiya / Bottle Gourd)
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Tablespoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Saunth Powder (Ginger Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 5 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Ghee
Step By Step Instructions for Dalia Recipe | Dalia Khichdi | Masala Vegetable Daliya
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan and roast dalia till it turns aromatic and light brown in color. You can roast the daliya in a large quantity and keep store it an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 months.1 Cup Daliya (Broken Wheat)
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pressure cooker, and add rai (black mustard seeds).1 Tablespoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- When the rai starts to splutter add cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds. Also add cloves (lLaung).1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 2 Cloves (Laung)
- Add finely chopped green chillies and fry them. You can also add some finely chopped ginger at this stage, but I am using ginger powder (Saunth) later so I have skipped adding it.1 Green Chilli
- Add peas to the pressure cooker along with diced potatoes, carrots and louki.1 Small Potato, 1 Carrot, 1/2 Louki (Ghiya / Bottle Gourd), 1/2 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- Then add the roasted daliya to the pressure cooker.
- Rinse moong dal 3-4 times in water and add that to the cooker as well.1/4 Cup Moong Dal (Yellow)
- Add 5 cups of water along with turmeric powder, salt, pepper and saunth powder (ginger powder).1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Saunth Powder (Ginger Powder), 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste, 5 Cups Water
- Cook the mixture in the pressure cooker till you get 1 whistle, then turn the flame to minimum. Then cook for 5 more minutes. Open the pressure cooker when the steam has come out. Dalia khichdi is ready. You can have it plain or with curd, pickle or papad on the side.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.