Paneer Bhurji is a popular dish made from crumbled or freshly grated paneer which is cooked with chopped onion, tomatoes and mildly flavored with Indian spices.
Paneer Bhurji is one of the simplest paneer recipes. It is a dry type of vegetable preparation which can be made in relatively less time and effort and tastes good.
It mirrors a classical fried and scrambled eggs preparation which goes by the name ‘Bhurji’ in the Indian subcontinent. Paneer is used instead of eggs in this preparation for a vegetarian version.
The star of this dish is Paneer or Indian cottage cheese, which is one the most common type of cheese used in varieties of cuisines in the Indian subcontinent. For best results, use fresh homemade paneer for this recipe.
Crumbled paneer is cooked, in a stir fried masala made of onions and tomatoes, flavored with Indian spices like ginger, garlic, coriander powder & garam masala.
The dish is simple & mildly flavored in general, but you can also add some Pav Bhaji Masala to it for a different spicier flavor.
Paneer has a myriad of health benefits since it is a rich source of protein, calcium and is low in calories as well, making this dish healthy and suitable for weight conscious people and diabetics.
As a variation you can also use Tofu instead of Paneer for a lighter vegan version of the dish. You can also add spinach, carrots, peas, beans or other vegetables to make it even healthier.
How to eat Paneer Bhurji?
Paneer Bhurji is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in many ways :
- Eat it on its own as a breakfast or snack with a generous sprinkling of lemon juice.
- It goes great with any type of Indian bread like roti, phulkas, naan or puri. It can even be served with rice.
- Use it as a stuffing in dosa to make paneer dosa, akin to the more popular and dominant potato filled masala dosa.
- Use as a stuffing for kathi rolls or wraps. Add some thinly sliced onions, carrots, green chutney, ketchup and chaat masala and make a frankie.
- You can also use it as filling for a sandwich. Add some sliced onions, tomatoes and cheese along with paneer bhurji to make a grilled sandwich.
To make Paneer Bhurji at home take a look at the video or follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Palak Paneer Bhurji – scrambled paneer with spinach
- Matar Paneer – peas & paneer curry
- Kadai Paneer – paneer & bell pepper cooked in a spicy masala
- Paneer Tikka Masala – marinated & grilled paneer in gravy
- Paneer Butter Masala – paneer cooked in rich buttery gravy
- Stuffed Capsicum – bell pepper stuffed with paneer & potatoes
- Methi Malai Paneer – fenugreek & paneer curry
Suggested recipe collections :
- Paneer Recipes | 22 Easy Indian Paneer Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Paneer Bhurji Recipe
Ingredients For Paneer Bhurji Recipe
- 250 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 1 Large Tomato
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro)
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Paneer Bhurji Recipe
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and add cumin seeds (jeera) and heeng (asafoetida). Fry the cumin seeds for a few seconds till they start to sputter.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1/4 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- Add finely chopped onions to the pan.1 Medium Sized Onion
- Then add finely chopped green chillies, along with ginger & garlic paste. You can also use fresh minced ginger & garlic.1 Green Chilli, 1 Teaspoon Ginger Paste, 1 Teaspoon Garlic Paste
- Fry the onions for 2-3 mins till they turn translucent.
- Then add finely chopped tomatoes.1 Large Tomato
- Also add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder, coriander powder (dhania powder), garam masala & salt.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 3/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Cook the tomatoes for 2-3 mins till they become soft.
- Next add crumbled paneer to the pan.250 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese
- Mix the paneer with the onion tomato masala and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add finely chopped coriander leaves on top.1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro)
- Sprinkle some lemon juice and mix everything well.1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Paneer Bhurji is ready. Serve it hot with lemon wedges on the side, as a healthy breakfast or with roti for lunch or dinner.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.