Poha is a one of the most popular breakfasts in many parts of Northern India specially in Maharashtra & Indore. It’s preparation varies across different regions and even across different families.
It is a light and tasty meal which is very easy to cook. I have posted a simple recipe to make poha with the minimum required ingredients. You can also add Curry Leaves, Green Chillis, Fried/Boiled Potatoes, Roasted & Salted Peanuts and even Peas if you want.
To make Poha at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Ingredients For Poha Recipe
- 2 Cups Thick Poha (Flattened Rice)
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1-2 Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Rai (Mustard Seeds)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
Step By Step Instructions for Poha Recipe
- Wash the poha thoroughly 5-6 times till the water runs clear. Then drain all the water and leave it to sit for 5-10 mins.2 Cups Thick Poha (Flattened Rice)
- After leaving it for 10 mins, add red chilli powder and salt to the bowl.1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Mix the spices lightly with a fork or with your hand, separating the rice flakes in the process. Do not use too much force otherwise the poha will become mushy.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add rai (mustard seeds) and let them crackle.1 Teaspoon Rai (Mustard Seeds)
- When the mustard seeds have stopped crackling, add finely chopped onions to the pan.1 Medium Onion
- Fry them for 1 min till the onions have turned soft and golden brown in color.
- Add 1-2 finely chopped tomatoes and cook them for a couple of minutes1-2 Tomatoes
- Then add haldi (turmeric powder), sugar and optionally chaat masala to the mixture.1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder), 1 Teaspoon Sugar, 1/2 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- Add the poha (already mixed with red chilli powder and salt) to the pan.
- Mix lightly to coat the poha in masala. Again, do not apply a lot of force while mixing.
- Sprinkle a few drops of lemon juice. Poha is ready. Serve it hot, optionally adding some spicy namkeen mixture or bhujiya sev for some extra crunch and flavor.1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.