Semiya Upma also known as Vermicelli Upma is made by tossing roasted vermicelli noodles with onions, tomatoes, vegetables and spices.
Semiya Upma is a simple and easy breakfast recipe. You can add any vegetables of your choice to make the dish more wholesome and filling.
The dish traces its origin to South India and is more popular there. However, it has now become quite popular in other parts of the country as well.
It is an interesting variation of more the common South Indian Breakfast recipe of Upma. This dish is made from vermicelli instead of semolina which is used to make Upma.
Semiya Upma is a light dish which is quite popular for breakfast. But it can also be taken as a snack along with tea. This savoury snack is loved by the kids and has much more nutrition than most of the fast foods.
To make Semiya Upma at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Semiya Upma Recipe | Vermicelli Upma
Ingredients For Semiya Upma Recipe | Vermicelli Upma
- 1 Cup Semiya (Vermicelli)
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 1 Medium Sized Potato
- 2 Small Tomatoes
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- 8-10 Curry Leaves (Kadi Patta)
- 1/4 Cup Peanuts (Groundnuts)
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split & Skinned Black Lentil)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or as per taste
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Semiya Upma Recipe | Vermicelli Upma
- Add the vermicelli noodles to a pan along with 1 tablespoon of ghee (clarified butter).1 Tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter), 1 Cup Semiya (Vermicelli)
- Fry it on low heat for 3-4 minutes till it turns light golden brown in color. After removing the pan from the heat, stir it for additional 30 seconds or so, to ensure that it doesn’t burn from the bottom.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds (rai) to it. When the rai starts to crackle, add urad dal. Fry till the dal becomes golden in color.1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds), 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split & Skinned Black Lentil)
- Add peanuts to the oil and roast them for a minute. Take care that they do not burn.1/4 Cup Peanuts (Groundnuts)
- Then add the curry leaves. Fry them for a few seconds.8-10 Curry Leaves (Kadi Patta)
- Add finely chopped onions and green chillies. Let them cook for a minute.1 Medium Sized Onion, 2-3 Green Chillies
- Now add finely chopped pieces of potatoes. Fry them till they are almost soft.1 Medium Sized Potato
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder (haldi) and salt (as per taste).1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or as per taste
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till the raw smell of tomatoes is gone.2 Small Tomatoes
- Now add the water to the pan and bring it to a boil.1 3/4 Cup Water
- Add the roasted semiya (vermicelli) to the water.1 Cup Semiya (Vermicelli)
- Turn the heat to low. Stir till almost all the water is dried up and soaked by the vermicelli. Then turn off the heat and cover the pan. Let it sit for 8-10 minutes.
- Now add some finely chopped coriander leaves and sprinkle some lemon juice on top.1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya), 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Mix all the ingredients well. Semiya Upma is ready. Serve it hot.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.