Tamarind Rice is a common rice preparation, predominantly eaten in the southern parts of India. The rice dish is characterized by the use of tamarind as a main ingredient.
To make this dish, rice is fried along with a special tempering of Tamarind pulp, Curry Leaves and other Indian spices which greatly enhances the taste and flavor of this dish and makes it quite appealing. Sometimes jaggery (gur) is also added for a slightly sweet flavor.
“Puli” refers to Tamarind in Kannada, Telugu and Tamil. Tamarind Rice also goes by the names of Pulihora, Puliyogare or Puliyodarai.
Pulihora or Tamarind Rice is a traditional South Indian dish, but due to its tangy taste, it has gained considerable popularity in northern parts of India as well.
Pulihora is not only delicious, but also really quick and easy to prepare and so it is a great option for children’s lunch box, specially if you have leftover rice. This dish uses a bit more oil and so it is not spoiled easily. Due to this Tamarind Rice is a favorite choice to take away for long distance journeys.
To make Tamarind Rice or Pulihora at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Tamarind Rice Recipe | Pulihora Recipe | Puliyogare
Ingredients For Tamarind Rice Recipe | Pulihora Recipe | Puliyogare
- 3 Cup Cooked Rice
- 2 Tablespoons Peanuts
- 15-20 Curry Leaves (Kari Patta)
- 2-3 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Rai (Mustard Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split & Husked Black Gram)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 2 Teaspoons Concentrated Tamarind Pulp
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Tamarind Rice Recipe | Pulihora Recipe | Puliyogare
- Heat some oil in a pan and add mustard seeds (rai) to it. When the mustard seeds start to crackle add urad dal and peanuts. Fry on low flame till they are roasted and golden brown.1 Teaspoon Rai (Mustard Seeds), 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split & Husked Black Gram), 2 Tablespoons Peanuts
- Add dried red chillies and curry leaves to the pan, and fry for a few seconds.2-3 Dried Red Chillies, 15-20 Curry Leaves (Kari Patta)
- Now add turmeric powder (haldi) and red chilli Powder. Saute for a few seconds.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- Add the cooked rice to the tempering along with some salt.3 Cup Cooked Rice, 1 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
- Mix to coat the rice with the spices and fry the rice on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Take the concentrated tamarind pulp mixed with 2 teaspoons of water and add it to the rice.2 Teaspoons Concentrated Tamarind Pulp
- Mix the tamarind pulp with the rice. Saute for a couple of minutes, then cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Tamarind Rice is ready. Serve hot as is, or along with pickle or papad.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
2 thoughts on “Tamarind Rice Recipe | Pulihora Recipe | Puliyogare”
Rice is our main food. This tamarind rice recipe is new for me. I will definitely try this different rice recipe.
Great, do let us know how it turned out! 🙂