Veg Pulao or Vegetable Pilaf is an easy one pot rice dish mixed with assorted vegetables and mildly flavored with various spices like cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon etc. The dish is liked both for its delicious taste and its aromatic flavor.
Veg Pulao is one of the most common rice dishes, that is often made in most Indian households. It is also commonly found in the menus of most restaurants as well as a part of party menus.
Veg Pulao is a satisfying, healthy and complete food in itself due to the addition of various vegetables. Most commonly used vegetables for this dish are potatoes, peas, carrots, cauliflower and beans. Chopped cubes of Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) can also be added for extra taste.
To ensure of the best taste and aroma, Veg Pulao should be cooked from good quality long grain basmati rice. If fresh vegetates are not available or if you are short of time, frozen mixed vegetables can also be used in making Pulao.
Veg Pulao is usually served with one or more accompaniments, most commonly with some Raita like Onion Tomato Raita, Mint Raita or Boondi Raita. It can also be served along with any Indian gravy, pickle or even papad.
Veg Pulao tastes best when served hot and it can be garnished with nuts and raisins as per taste. You can also add some caramelized onion on top.
To make Veg Pulao at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Veg Pulao Recipe | Vegetable Pilaf
Ingredients For Veg Pulao Recipe | Vegetable Pilaf
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Large Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 Large Potato, diced
- 1 Cup Medium Sized Cauliflower florets
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Large or 2 Small Carrots, chopped
- 10-15 French Beans, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Peas
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- 2 Green Cardamoms (Choti Elaichi)
- 1 Black Cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 3-4 Cloves (Laung)
- 4-5 Whole Black Peppercorn (Sabut Kali Mirch)
- 2 Teaspoons Salt, or to taste
- 10-12 Cashews
- 1/3 Cup Mint Leaves
- 1/3 Cup Cilantro / Coriander Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Veg Pulao Recipe | Vegetable Pilaf
- Wash and rinse rice in water 3-4 times. Soak it in 1 cup of water for around 20 minutes.1 Cup Basmati Rice
- While the rice are soaking prepare the vegetables. Thinly slice the onions and chop the tomatoes.1 Large Onion, thinly sliced, 1 Tomato, chopped
- Also dice the potatoes, bell peppers, cauliflower, carrots and beans. Take out the peas from the pods or use frozen ones. Make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies.1 Large Potato, diced, 1 Cup Medium Sized Cauliflower florets, 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped, 1 Large or 2 Small Carrots, chopped, 10-15 French Beans, chopped, 1 Inch Piece of Ginger, 3-4 Garlic Cloves, 2 Green Chillies, 1/2 Cup Peas
- Heat ghee or oil in a pot or a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom, black cardamom and black peppercorn.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta), 2 Green Cardamoms (Choti Elaichi), 1 Black Cardamom (Badi Elaichi), 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini), 3-4 Cloves (Laung), 4-5 Whole Black Peppercorn (Sabut Kali Mirch)
- Then add the thinly sliced onions along with paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Fry them till they are golden brown and crispy.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the raw aroma of the tomatoes goes away.
- Then add all the chopped vegetables, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, french beans and peas.
- Mix well and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add cashews along with chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves.10-12 Cashews, 1/3 Cup Mint Leaves, 1/3 Cup Cilantro / Coriander Leaves
- Drain the soaked rice and add them to the pot.
- Add 2.5 cups of water along salt.2 Teaspoons Salt, or to taste
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook on low flame for around 10-15 minutes, till the water dries up and the rice are cooked.
- Veg Pulao is ready. Serve it hot garnished with cilantro and mint leaves. You can serve any raita on the side.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.