Veg Spring Rolls are crispy deep fried snacks filled with a delicious stuffing of lightly spiced and crunchy vegetables.
Spring Rolls are a popular Asian snack which are often served before the meals as an appetizer. A mixture of vegetables, salt and spices is rolled into spring roll wrappers and is then deep fried or baked. This results into a crunchy and delicious snack.
Veg spring rolls are available in many restaurants and are sometimes also found on street side stalls. The dish is also suitable to be served in parties as a snack or appetizer.
Ingredients for the filling
You can use any mix of vegetables for the filling. Cabbage, carrot and capsicum are the most commonly used ones as they help to enhance the taste.
You can also add beans, sprouts, onions etc. Another ingredient commonly used for spring roll filling is glass noodles. Thin boiled noodles along with vegetables and spices tastes really good in a spring roll.
Wrapping for the spring roll
To make crispy and crunchy spring rolls it is very important to have the right wrapping. The wrapping is supposed to be really thin and even in thickness to make the best sprint rolls.
I have used store-bought spring roll wrappers here but you can also make them at home. However, I have found that it is difficult to make the wrappers as thin and even as store bought ones when making at home, since the store bought ones are pressed by machines.
The dish is quick and relatively easy to prepare and can be served as an appetizer for gatherings by preparing the ingredients in advance. At the time of serving Veg spring rolls can be baked or fried, but the fried variation is generally more common. They are healthy snacks due to the liberal use of vegetables and enjoyed by children as well.
To make Veg Spring Rolls at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Veg Spring Rolls Recipe
Ingredients For Veg Spring Rolls Recipe
- 10-12 Spring Roll Wrappers
- 4-5 Spring Onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 Cup Cabbage, grated
- 1/2 Cup Carrots Carrots, grated
- 1/2 Cup Beans, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Capsicum, thinly sliced
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Inch Ginger, grated
- 2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Chilli Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, as per taste
- 2 Tablespoons Plain Flour / All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Veg Spring Rolls Recipe
- Wash and rinse all the vegetables. Shred the cabbage and carrots. Thinly slice the beans and capsicum.3/4 Cup Cabbage, grated, 1/2 Cup Carrots Carrots, grated, 1/2 Cup Beans, thinly sliced, 1/2 Cup Capsicum, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a pan. Add finely spring onion whites.4-5 Spring Onions, finely chopped, 2 Tablespoons Oil
- Add ginger-garlic paste and stir for a couple of minutes till they start to brown slightly.1 Inch Ginger, grated, 3-4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Add all the vegetables to the pan. Stir fry the vegetables on high flame for 3-4 minutes. Do not overcook them so that they retain a slight crunch.
- When the vegetables are cooked add salt, black pepper powder, soy sauce and vinegar. Be careful while adding the salt since soy sauce already contains some salt in it.2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce, 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, 1 Teaspoon Salt, as per taste, 2 Teaspoons Chilli Vinegar
- Mix everything well and cook for a couple of minutes. Let the mixture sit and cool down for some time before handling it.
- Mix 1 part plain flour (all purpose flour) with 2 parts of water and make a thick paste. This paste will be used for sealing the spring rolls. You can also use it to fix any tears in your wrappers.2 Tablespoons Plain Flour / All Purpose Flour
- Gently separate a spring roll wrapper and spread it out on a flat working area.10-12 Spring Roll Wrappers
- Take a small handful of the filling and place it diagonally on one corner of the wrapper.
- Start rolling the wrapper gently but tightly from one end till you reach midway.
- Spread the paste we prepared earlier on the edges of the wrapper.
- Then gently fold in one end of the wrapper inside.
- Add a little more paste if needed and fold the other side in as well.
- Roll the wrapper the rest of the way and seal the ends by applying the paste and pressing gently.
- Finish rolling the rest of the spring rolls in the same way.
- Deep fry these Spring Rolls on medium heat for 2-3 minutes till they turn golden brown and crispy. Serve them piping hot with schezwan sauce, sweet chili sauce or tomato ketchup.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.