Eggless lemon cake is soft and flavorful cake made with flour, sugar, yogurt, oil and flavored with fresh lemon juice. This cake has a refreshing sweet & tangy flavor and a bright moist texture.
This cake is made with simple everyday ingredients, and doesn’t use any eggs or butter. It’s a great option to make if you want to avoid eggs due to health concerns or dietary restrictions, or simply don’t have any eggs at home.
How to substitute egg in cake?
There are variety of ingredients that can substitute eggs in a cake with the basic objective that they should help to bind the ingredients together, help the cake rise and give it a moist and soft texture.
Some of the good quality egg substitute includes Greek yoghurt, mashed bananas, silken tofu, buttermilk, unsweetened apple sauce etc. I have used Greek Yogurt in this recipe, along with baking powder & baking soda.
Main ingredients for eggless lemon cake
This cake is made using really simple ingredients that should be readily available in most houses. It’s made of a mixture of plain flour, sugar, Greek yogurt, oil, and lemon juice. Apart from this, lemon zest and vanilla essence are added for additional flavor.
I like to top the cake with a lemon icing, made with lemon juice and powdered sugar. However, you can also top it with buttercream, or any other icing of your choice.
Some handy tips for making this recipe
Below I have listed down a few things to keep in mind while preparing this recipe :
- It is recommended to measure the ingredients properly, as the proportions are really important while baking. You can also use a kitchen scale to measure them.
- Sift the flour and other dry ingredients through a strainer before adding to the wet ingredients. This will help incorporate some air into the mixture.
- Do not overmix the batter, otherwise you will lose all the air bubbles. Instead, gently fold with a spatula till the ingredients are just mixed. This will prevent the cake from being dense and also help the cake rise properly.
- Proceed to bake the cake as soon as the batter is ready, otherwise the baking powder & baking soda will activate before you start baking and the cake won’t rise properly.
- Be sure to preheat your oven to the correct temperature before you start baking the cake. Bake at the right temperature. This will help the cake bake evenly and rise properly.
- You can use a toothpick to check if the cake is done. Insert the toothpick into center of the cake, and it should come out relatively clean if the cake is properly cooked.
- Do not open the oven door till the cake is almost done cooking. Otherwise the heat will be let out and your cake will sink in the middle.
- Once the cake is done, let it cool down in the pan for few minutes before transferring it to cool completely. This will help prevent the cake from breaking or crumbling.
Storage & Serving
The eggless lemon cake can be stored in the refrigerator for about a week. It should be kept in an airtight container, to prevent drying out or spoiling of the cake.
While the cake’s tangy flavor and moist texture make the eggless lemon cake delicious on their own, but I love to serve it with some lemon icing or some cream cheese frosting. As a simpler alternative, you can dust the cake with powdered sugar or serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Another option is to serve it with some fresh fruit like raspberries, blueberries or strawberries. This provides a dash of color of color and adds sweetness.
To make eggless lemon cake at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Eggless Chocolate Cake
- Eggless Crumb Cake
- Sesame Cookies
- Apple Rose with Puff Pastry
- Cinnamon Shortbread Cookies
- Checkerboard Cookies
Eggless Lemon Cake Recipe
Ingredients For Eggless Lemon Cake Recipe
For the cake batter
- 1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Hung Curd (Strained yogurt / Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 3/4 Cup Cooking Oil
- 5 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
For the lemon icing
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
Step By Step Instructions for Eggless Lemon Cake Recipe
Making the cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 F or 180 C. Prepare your baking tray by lining it with parchment paper. Then brush with a layer of oil and dust it with some plain flour. Set the lined tray aside.
- Sieve the plain flour to remove any lumps and to incorporate some air into it. Also sieve the baking soda and baking powder together.1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour (Maida), 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda, 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set it aside.
- Beat some yogurt and milk in a mixing bowl.1 Cup Hung Curd (Strained yogurt / Greek yogurt), 1/2 Cup Milk
- Then add vegetable oil, lemon juice and sugar to the bowl.3/4 Cup Cooking Oil, 5 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, 1/3 Cup Sugar
- Also add vanilla extract and lemon zest.1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
- Mix all the wet ingredient together well to make a smooth batter.
- Then add in the dry ingredients and mix well to remove any lumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray.
- Bake the cake for 40 mins or till a toothpick comes out clean. Then let the cake cool down and remove it from the tray.
Making the lemon icing
- While the cake is baking, take some powdered sugar in a bowl.1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Add lemon juice to the bowl.2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Whisk all the ingredients together to make a smooth glaze.
- Eggless lemon cake is ready. Pour the glaze on the top of the cake and enjoy.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.