Moong Dal Khichdi is a very popular Indian one pot meal eaten in every house irrespective of the occasion. It is a simple mixture of rice, lentils and spices which is very easy to make.
Khichdi is highly nutritious and good for health. It is often recommended as meal for people who are ill or have stomach issues, since it is easy to digest and tastes great as well.
Khichdi differs from vegetable pulao and biryani in texture and consistency. The mixture is generally cooked till the rice and lentils are soft and have blended uniformly with each other. Thickness of khichdi can be changed by adding more or less water and is dependent on one’s preference.
Khichdi has its prevalence in festivals also, like Makar Sankranti, where it is most commonly served during dinner.
Moong dal khichdi is often topped with a generous amount of ghee and enjoyed with raita, curd or pickle along with chopped onions, salt & fried green chilies or papad on the side.
To make Moong Dal Khichdi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe
Ingredients For Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Moong Dal (split & skinned green gram)
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 1 Medium Sized Tomato
- 1-2 Green Chilli
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1-2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 2 Tablespoon Oil or Ghee
Step By Step Instructions for Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe
- Wash and rinse the rice and yellow moong dal thoroughly.1/2 Cup Rice, 1/2 Cup Yellow Moong Dal (split & skinned green gram)
- Heat ghee or oil in pressure cooker and add jeera (cumin seeds) to it.2 Tablespoon Oil or Ghee, 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- When the cumin seeds start spluttering, add minced garlic, ginger and finely chopped green chilies.3-4 Garlic Cloves, 1 Inch Piece of Ginger, 1-2 Green Chilli
- Add finely chopped onion and fry them till they turn translucent or golden brown indicating that they are cooked.1 Medium Sized Onion
- Then add chopped tomatoes along with haldi (turmeric powder) to the mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes, till the tomatoes become soft.1 Medium Sized Tomato, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- Add rice and yellow moong lentils to the pressure cooker.
- Also add 3 cups of water to it along with salt.1-2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker. Wait for 2 steams from cooker at high temperature and turn the heat off. Wait for 15-20 minutes for the steam to come out of the pressure cooker by itself.
- Khichdi is ready. You can top it with ghee while serving. You can also serve curd, pickle, chopped onions, salted & fried green chilies or papad on the side.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.