Kadai paneer gravy is a mouthwatering recipe made from paneer cooked in a spicy gravy made of onions, tomatoes, capsicum and traditional Indian spices. It is one of the most popular Indian curries and cooked throughout the world.
Kadai paneer can be made in various ways. You can make a dry/semi-dry version for serving with Breads. You can also cook it with gravy if you want to serve it with rice dish. This recipe is for the gravy version of kadai paneer.
This dish gets its name from ‘kadai’, an Indian wok, which is essential for cooking Indian cuisines and used here to give smoky flavor to paneer.
Paneer – Indian cottage cheese
Paneer constitutes the main ingredient in this dish. Paneer is a fresh cheese common in South Asian cuisine. It is used in making many different delicacies in Indian cuisine and kadai paneer is the most popular of them.
Apart from being a versatile dairy product that tastes good on its own and goes well with many other vegetables, paneer has many health benefits as well.
This irresistible aromatic dish is easy to cook and is a staple entree in most restaurants and dhabas along with naan. Kadai Paneer can be enjoyed with roti, plain paratha, naan. Since this dish has a thin gravy it also goes well with steamed rice, jeera rice or veg pulao.
To make Kadai Paneer Gravy at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
Try other popular paneer curry recipes:
- Dry Kadai Paneer – dry version of kadai paneer
- Paneer Tikka Masala – marinated & grilled paneer in gravy
- Paneer Butter Masala – paneer cooked in rich buttery gravy
- Matar Paneer – peas & paneer curry
- Paneer Makhani – paneer cooked in buttery tomato gravy
- Methi Malai Paneer – fenugreek & paneer curry
- Palak Paneer – paneer in spinach curry
- Malai Kofta – fried paneer dumplings in gravy
- Stuffed Tomato – paneer stuffed tomatoes in gravy
Suggested Recipe Collections :
- Paneer Recipes | 15 Easy Indian Paneer Recipes
- Indian Vegetarian Curries | A collection of 29 Indian Gravy Recipes
- Dry Vegetable Recipes | 15 Indian Sabzi Recipes | Sookhi Subzi
Category: Main Course
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Kadai Paneer Gravy Recipe
- 250 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese), cubed
- 2 Medium Sized Onions
- 4-5 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Sized Green Bell Pepper / Capsicum
- 2 Green Chillies
- ~2 inch Ginger, grated
- 5-6 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 2 Teaspoons Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 2 Teaspoon Crushed Kasuri Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves)
- 2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Kadai Paneer Gravy Recipe
Heat ghee / butter or oil in a kadai (wok) or a pan. Finely chop or make a paste of Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies. Add them to the pan and fry for a minute.
Finely chop or make a puree of the onions and add them to the pan. Fry them for 4-5 minutes till they become translucent or golden brown.
Make a puree of the tomatoes and add them to the pan. Cook the mixture for 5-6 minutes till the raw aroma of the tomatoes goes away.
Add Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder), Turmeric Powder (Haldi), Red Chili Powder and Garam Masala to the gravy.
Thinly slice or chop the capsicums. Add them to the gravy and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add 3/4 Cup Water to adjust the consistency along with Salt, according to taste. Then add 1/2 Cup Cream to the gravy.
Add crushed Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi) to the gravy.
Then add the Paneer Cubes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add coriander leaves to garnish. Kadai Paneer Gravy is ready, serve it hot with Roti or Naan (Indian Flatbread).
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.