Basic White Rice is one of the first recipes that you will learn if you are just starting out in the kitchen. Rice is a staple food in many parts of India and across the world.
There are many varieties of rice used throughout the world. In India the most commonly used variety is basmati rice, specially in the northern parts. In southern states some other varieties like sona masoori rice are also quite popular.
The cooking method for any rice variety is almost the same. But some tend to cook a little faster than the others. The recipe below is a generic recipe, but works the best for basmasti rice.
The basic principle of cooking rice is getting the proportion of rice & water correct.
- If cooking in a pressure cooker, you should add 2 times the amount of water compared to rice. This is the method used in the recipe.
- If cooking in an open pot, you need to add 3 times the amount of water compared to rice.
In order to make sure that the rice are not sticky, you can also add a few drops of oil and sprinkle a little salt while cooking. However, adding oil & salt are completely optional.
Being mostly plain in taste themselves, rice is generally either cooked with other spices & ingredients or enjoyed with various kinds of gravies.
Since rice absorbs the flavor of spices really well, you can make various kinds of pulaos, biryanis or stir fried dishes by tossing rice with vegetables, sauces & spices.
They also go very well with all Indian Dals. Some especially popular combinations include like eating rice with Rajma (Rajma Chawal), Kadhi Pakora (Kadhi Chawal), Sambar (Sambar Chawal) or Dal Tadka (Dal Chawal).
To make Basic White Rice at home follow the detailed step by step recipe posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Basic White Rice Recipe | Plain Rice
Ingredients For Basic White Rice Recipe | Plain Rice
- 1 Cup Rice
- 2 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Cooking Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, optional
Step By Step Instructions for Basic White Rice Recipe | Plain Rice
- Wash one cup of rice and put it in pressure cooker.1 Cup Rice
- Add two cups of water along with a few drops of cooking oil to it. The oil prevents the rice from sticking together.1 Teaspoon Cooking Oil
- Optionally, you can also add some salt. This helps the salt get absorbed during cooking and prevents the rice from sticking.1/2 Teaspoon Salt, optional
- Turn the heat to high. Wait for 3 steams (around 10 mins) and turn off the heat.
- You can also use a pan/container with for cooking and cover it with a lid.
- If cooking without a lid, add 3 cups of water instead.
- The given measurements are for 2 people. You can scale the quantity of rice and water in the same ratio up or down as desired.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.