Lemon Rice is an easy rice preparation which has an amazing taste as it is spiced up with lemon juice, curry leaves, turmeric, whole red chillies and mustard seeds.
South Indian spices and fresh Lemon juice give a spicy and slightly tangy taste enhances the taste of plain rice and give this dish a distinctive flavor.
Lemon rice is a traditional South Indian recipe and is quite popular. It is really delicious and can be made quite quickly.
You can make this recipe with fresh or leftover rice. It uses minimal spices in flavoring and is a no onion no garlic recipe.
Lemon rice can be best enjoyed with a salad and papadum (spiced thin & crispy lentil flour wafer). You can also enjoy this dish with common vegetables dishes, curd, raita or chutney.
Lemon Rice can be eaten as main course or as a side dish. Kids love this tasty and aromatic rice and the dish is a good choice for tiffin box.
To make Lemon Rice at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Lemon Rice Recipe | South Indian Lemon Flavored Rice
Ingredients For Lemon Rice Recipe | South Indian Lemon Flavored Rice
- 1 Cup Raw Rice (or 3 Cups Cooked Rice)
- 2 Tablespoon Peanuts
- 10-15 Curry Leaves (Kari Patta)
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split & Skinned Black Lentils)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chana Dal (Split Chickpeas)
- 2-3 Whole Dried Red Chillies
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2-3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Lemon Rice Recipe | South Indian Lemon Flavored Rice
- Wash and rinse rice with water. Then add them in a pressure cooker along with salt, 1 teaspoon oil and 2 cups of water. If cooking in an open pot, add 3 cups of water.1 Cup Raw Rice (or 3 Cups Cooked Rice), 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Cook the rice till you get 2 whistles then wait for it to cool down. Then gently fluff the rice with a fork. You can also use leftover rice.
- Heat some oil in a pan and roast the peanuts. Then remove the peanuts and set them aside.2 Tablespoon Peanuts
- In the same pan, add black mustard seeds (rai) and let them crackle.1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add cumin seeds and fry them for a few seconds.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Add urad dal (split & skinned black lentils) and chana dal (split chickpeas). Fry them till they turn golden brown.1/2 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split & Skinned Black Lentils), 1/2 Teaspoon Chana Dal (Split Chickpeas)
- Add 2-3 whole dried red chillies and fry them for a minute.2-3 Whole Dried Red Chillies
- Add 10-15 curry leaves along with finely chopped green chillies to the pan.10-15 Curry Leaves (Kari Patta), 2 Green Chillies
- Then add turmeric powder and asafoetida (heeng).1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- Add the cooked rice to the pan. Add lemon juice to the rice.2-3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Toss the rice gently to coat them in the tempering.
- Now add the roasted peanuts to the rice and mix everything together.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice sit for 5 minutes. Lemon Rice is ready. You can serve it as is or with any raita or papad.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
4 thoughts on “Lemon Rice Recipe | South Indian Lemon Flavored Rice”
Great recipe! I just had to add more lemon juice. It might be because I didn’t use Indian lemons.
I followed this recipe and it was quick and tatsy. Thank you.
Thanks Rajini! Glad you liked it 🙂