Tomato rice also known as thakkali sadam in Tamil is a popular South Indian dish made by cooking rice along with tomatoes and spices. The dish has a distinct hot and tangy flavor and is very easy to make.
Tomato rice is a simple dish made with minimal ingredients and can be made very quickly. It is also liked by children and is the ideal dish for their lunch box. Though this dish started out as a South Indian favorite, it has now become popular all over India.
Tips for making perfect tomato rice
Tomato rice can be made from fresh tomatoes or tomato puree. However, fully ripe red juicy tomatoes are best suited for making this dish, as it owes its unique taste and flavor to absorption of the sweet and tart juices of tomato into the rice.
Addition of onions, ginger, garlic and various Indian spices, further enhance the taste of this dish. Peanuts can also be added to give extra taste and crunch.
Though tomato rice made from fresh rice tastes better, it is quite common to make this recipe from left over rice. Overall, it is a satisfying dish which is delicious, nutritious and tangy.
Tomato rice tastes very delicious on its own, but also goes well with plain curd or any raita like onion tomato raita or mint Raita. In South India, tomato rice can also be served with some coconut chutney, papad or even chips.
To make Tomato Rice at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Tomato Rice Recipe | Thakkali Sadam
Ingredients For Tomato Rice Recipe | Thakkali Sadam
- 1 Cup Rice
- 3 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 2 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Tomato Rice Recipe | Thakkali Sadam
- Wash the rice and set them aside. Heat some oil in a pan and add black mustard seeds (rai) and cumin seeds (jeera) to the pan.1 Cup Rice, 1 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds (Rai), 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- When the rai & jeera start to crackle, add dried red chillies and asafoetida (heeng).2 Dried Red Chillies, 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- Add finely chopped onions and fry them for a couple off minutes.1 Small Onion
- Then add some ginger-garlic paste. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.1 Tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- Put finely chopped tomatoes in the pan. You can also use tomato puree instead.3 Large Tomatoes
- Add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder, garam masala and salt, according to taste.1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Mix the spices and saute till the tomatoes are cooked and start leaving oil on the sides.
- Add the washed rice to the pan.
- Then add 2 cups of water to rice.
- Cover with a lid and cook on medium flame for 10 minutes, or till the rice are cooked.
- Tomato Rice are ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve them hot with any raita.1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.