Peas Pulao or Matar Pulao is a flavorful, North Indian rice dish made with peas and rice cooked together along with Indian whole spices.
Pulao (also known as Pilaf in English) in Indian cuisine refers to a one pot rice dish usually mixed with assorted vegetables and mildly flavored with spices. Many variants of pulao are popular in different regions of India and the dish is considered as an inseparable part of Indian culinary.
Matar Pulao is liked both for its delicious taste and its aromatic flavor as apart from fresh peas, spices like cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon etc. are used in its preparation.
This dish is more frequently made in winters when fresh green peas are easily available and thus it tastes best with them. However, peas pulao can be made year round with frozen peas and is available in most of the restaurants as well.
Peas pulao is an easy to make one pot recipe that can be prepared at home without putting in much efforts or spending too much of time. It is also a good dish to take for picnics or small gatherings.
It is also common to have papad, pickle (mango, lemon or mixed) or green coriander chutney with peas pulao which enhances its overall taste.
To make Peas Pulao at home take a look at the video or follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Peas Pulao Recipe | Matar Pulao
* Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for more videos.
Ingredients For Peas Pulao Recipe | Matar Pulao
- 1.5 Cups Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Cup Peas
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 10-15 Cashew Nuts (Kaju)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- ~1 Inch Stick of Cinnamon (Dalchini)
- 1 Pod Badi Elaichi (Black Cardamom)
- 2 Pods Choti Elaichi (Green Cardamom)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Step By Step Instructions for Peas Pulao Recipe | Matar Pulao
- Heat some ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds (jeera), bay leaf (tej patta), cinnamom stick (dalchini), black cardamom (badi elaichi) and green cardamom (choti elaichi).1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta), ~1 Inch Stick of Cinnamon (Dalchini), 1 Pod Badi Elaichi (Black Cardamom), 2 Pods Choti Elaichi (Green Cardamom)
- Add cashew nuts and roast them for 1 minute on medium flame till they turn golden brown.10-15 Cashew Nuts (Kaju)
- Then add fresh green peas to the pan. Fry them for 2 minutes.1/2 Cup Peas
- Add washed basmati rice to the pan.
- Mix the rice with the peas & whole spices, then add 4.5 cups of water along with salt. If cooking in pressure cooker then add 3 cups of water.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium heat. Open once and stir in between. Make sure the rice is not sticking at the bottom. If all the water has evaporated, add 1/2-1 cup more water.
- Cover and cook again for around 5 minutes till the rice are done.
- Add some chopped coriander leaves and mix them gently with the rice.
- Peas Pulao or Matar Pulao is ready. Serve it hot with any Indian dal, curry or raita.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.