Lobia Masala is a very simple & quick Indian curry prepared with lobia (black eyed peas) cooked in a spicy onion tomato gravy.
Lobia is a legume grown in India as well as many parts if the world. The legume is kidney shaped, smaller in size and has a distinct small black spot on it which looks like an eye.
Lobia Masala is traditionally cooked in an onion tomato gravy base along with Indian spices. It is a very popular dish in many parts of Northern India and is called “Chora nu shaak” in Gujarati.
It is very simple to make and goes well with any of Indian Breads like Roti, Parathas etc. It can also be served along with plain steamed rice.
Lobia has high nutritional value being rich in fiber and micro nutrients and is a rich source of protein. Due to its unique ability to absorb, its taste is greatly enhanced when cooked in a spicy onion tomato gravy.
To make Lobia Masala at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Lobia Masala Recipe | Black Eyed Peas Curry
Ingredients For Lobia Masala Recipe | Black Eyed Peas Curry
- 1 Cup Lobia (Black Eye Peas)
- 2 Medium Sized Onions
- 1 Large Tomatoes
- 2 Green chillies
- 2 Teaspoon Dhaniya Powder (Coriander Powder)
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Inch Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon of Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves
Step By Step Instructions for Lobia Masala Recipe | Black Eyed Peas Curry
- Soak the lobia beans in water overnight for a minimum of 5-6 hours. Drain the water and keep lobia aside. Since lobia will grow considerably in size after soaking, care should be taken to take appropriate quantity in the beginning.1 Cup Lobia (Black Eye Peas)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add jeera (cumin seeds).1 Teaspoon of Jeera (Cumin Seeds), 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- When the seeds start to crackle, add finely chopped onions. Stir and saute till the onions change color.2 Medium Sized Onions
- Add finely chopped green chilies, garlic and ginger (or paste). Stir and saute the mixture for 1 minute.2 Green chillies, 5-6 Garlic Cloves, 1/2 Inch Ginger
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dhaniya (coriander), garam masala and salt to the pan.2 Teaspoon Dhaniya Powder (Coriander Powder), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder, 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- Next add finely diced tomatoes. Saute the spices in onion tomato gravy for at least 2-3 minutes on low heat till the gravy start oozing out oil and turns translucent.1 Large Tomatoes
- Add lobia or black-eyed peas in gravy. Add 1 cup of water to adjust the consistency of the gravy. Stir well so that lobia blends well with masala. Shut the lid of the cooker and after full pressure is built up, reduce the flame and cook for 5-6 minutes. Now let the pressure release on its own so that lobia is fully cooked.
- Open and give the dish a good stir. Lobia masala is ready. Garnish the dish with dhaniya (coriander leaves), finely cut green chilies / onion (optional) . You can also squeeze a few drops of lemon juice before serving. Serve hot with roti, paratha or freshly steamed rice.1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.