Kala Chana Masala or Black Chickpea Curry is a delicious, spicy, flavourful and very popular dish and forms essential part of the North Indian Cuisine. Kala Chana Masala is made by cooking boiled chickpeas in tomato gravy and spices.
This dish is often cooked during Navratras, an Indian festival. Hence, I have posted a recipe which has no garlic and onion. You can also add onion & garlic to it which makes it taste slightly different.
I make the gravy in the pressure cooker and then steam the chickpeas along with it, so that the spices get absorbed better and the tomatoes also become pureed. You can prepare the gravy separately as well.
Rich in nutrition
The Kala Chana recipe is a protein rich preparation and is quite rich source of dietary iron & folic acid. Kala Chana also has a low glycemic index which makes it perfect for a balanced healthy diet.
It also has other minerals like sodium, selenium, manganese and some anti-oxidants. This makes it ideal for growing children.
To make Kale Chane at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Sookhe Kale Chane – dry black chickpeas curry
- Chane Ka Khatta – tangy Himachali chickpea curry
- Kala Chana Kadhi – black chickpeas in yogurt gravy
- Chole Masala – white chickpea curry
- Rajma Masala – red kidney beans gravy
- Aloo Choliya – potato & green chickpea curry
Suggested recipe collections :
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 36 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Kala Chana Masala Recipe | Black Chickpea Curry
Ingredients For Kala Chana Masala Recipe | Black Chickpea Curry
- 1 Cup Kale Chane (Black Chickpeas)
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Chana Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Kala Chana Masala Recipe | Black Chickpea Curry
- Wash the chickpeas and soak them in 3 cups of water overnight (at least 8 hours).1 Cup Kale Chane (Black Chickpeas)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. When the oil becomes hot, add cumin seeds and fry them. Add a pinch of Heeng (Asafoetida).1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil, 1/4 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- Add finely chopped Green Chillies and Ginger. Saute for a few seconds.2-3 Green Chillies, 1 Tablespoon Ginger
- Add Haldi (Turmeric Powder), Red Chilli Powder, Chana Masala, Garam Masala, Chaat Masala, Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) and Salt to taste.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 3/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Tablespoon Chana Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Chaat Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder), 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Saute the spices for a few seconds and add finely chopped tomatoes.2 Tomatoes
- Cook the tomatoes for a few minutes.
- When the gravy has cooked, add the chickpeas to the cooker along with 3 cups of Water. Pressure cook on high heat till you get 3 whistles. Cook for another 30 mins on medium flame.
- You can mash some of the chickpeas with the back of the spoon to make the gravy a little thicker. Kala Chana Gravy is ready. Serve it hot with puri, roti, paratha or rice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.