Samosa is the quintessential Indian snack and one of the most popular street foods in the country. Samosas are basically pockets of dough which are stuffed with a savory filling and deep fried resulting in a crisp shell which is delicately rich and flaky.
Samosa is one of the popular snacks of North India and there are several variations of this snack across the country. The filling inside the Samosa varies, but a tangy and spicy Aloo (Potato) mixture is the most common.
Aloo Samosas are made from a dough made of All Purpose Flour (Maida) stuffed with a spicy potato and peas filling which is then deep fried to give a golden, crisp and flaky shell.
Samosa is very commonly eaten as a snack along with tea and thus it is common item at small gatherings and parties. This recipe is not only a common street food but is also made at home as a snack and many times during festivals.
Aloo Samosas taste best when they are eaten hot. These Samosa are fabulous when eaten alone or served with fresh Indian chutney, such as Mint Chutney, Coriander Chutney, Tamarind Chutney or a mix of these.
Samosas can also be had in form of a Chaat where they are served with yogurt, chutneys, chopped onions, coriander and a generous dose of Chaat Masala. You can also add cooked white chickpeas on it.
To make Samosa at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Samosa Recipe | Spicy Potato Samosa
Ingredients For Samosa Recipe | Spicy Potato Samosa
For the Pastry
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1 Teaspoon Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter) or Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
For the Stuffing
- 3 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 1 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- 1 Green Chilli
- ~1/2 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Samosa Recipe | Spicy Potato Samosa
Preparing the stuffing
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Roast them till they start to splutter.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Add ginger, garlic and green chilli paste.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder, dry mango powder (amchur) and salt.1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
- Add boiled potatoes and peas to the pan.
- Stir to mix all the ingredients well. Set the prepared stuffing aside.
Preparing the pastry
- Combine all purpose flour (maida), salt and carom seeds (ajwain) in a bowl.2 Cups All Purpose Flour (Maida), 1 Teaspoon Carom Seeds (Ajwain), 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Add ghee or oil to the flour.2 Tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter) or Oil
- Rub the ghee in the flour with both hands to coat it completely.
- Add around 1/2 cup of water to the dough slowly and knead to make a firm dough. Let it rest for 20-30 mins.
Making the samosas
- Divide the dough into lemon sized balls.
- Flatten it to a disk with the help of a rolling pin. The disc should neither be thick nor thin.
- Then cut the disc into two parts with a knife.
- Brush a little water on the edges of the pastry. This will help the dough stick together.
- Fold the semicircle to make a hollow cone and join the 2 edges.
- Stuff the samosas with around 2 spoons of the potato and peas filling.
- Seal the edges of the samosa by pinching it between your fingers.
Frying the samosas
- Heat oil in a pan and gently drop the samosas in the hot oil. Then turn the heat to low-medium and fry the samosas till they are golden.
- Samosas are ready. Serve them piping hot along with mint chutney, coriander chutney or tamarind chutney.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.