Kachori is a snack made from maida (all purpose flour) dough stuffed with a spicy urad dal filling. It is then deep fried until flaky and crusty.
Dal Ki Kachori is a very tempting delicacy. Nothing can be more tempting than the crisp, golden brown, round and fluffy kachoris full of spicy masalas and a distinct flavor that ignites your taste buds.
Kachoris stuffed with dal have a much longer shelf life. Kachori is suitable as a snack for breakfast, during tea time, as a street side snack or in tea parties. They are often also prepared for Indian festivals like Holi & Diwali.
The filling of the kachori can vary a lot from region to region. Some popular types of kachoris includes pyaaz kachori, dal kachori, mawa kachori, aloo kachori, raj kachori etc.
The kachoris of Rajasthan and north India are popular throughout the country. This recipe is from Kota city of Rajasthan, whose dal kachoris are well known all over the country.
Kota kachoris are famous for their spiciness and a distinct smell of hing (asafoetida). In Kota, these kachoris are sold in small street side shops all over the city. They are hugely popular and are relished by people as a breakfast, mid day snack, evening snack and even served for parties and gatherings.
To make Urad Dal Kachori at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Kachori Recipe | Kota Kachori | Urad Dal Kachori
Ingredients For Kachori Recipe | Kota Kachori | Urad Dal Kachori
For the Filling
- 1/2 Cup Dhuli Urad Dal (Split and Skinned Black Lentil)
- 1 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- 10-12 Laung (Cloves)
- 20-25 Black Peppercorn (Sabut Kali Mirch)
- 2 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds (Sabut Dhaniya)
- 2 Teaspoon Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
- 2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- 3 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
For the Pastry
- 4 Cups (500 gm) Maida (Plain Flour / All Purpose Flour)
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Step By Step Instructions for Kachori Recipe | Kota Kachori | Urad Dal Kachori
Preparing the filling
- Wash the urad dal thoroughly and soak it in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Gather saunf (fennel seeds), sabut kali mirch (black peppercorn), laung (cloves) & sabut dhaniya (coriander seeds).10-12 Laung (Cloves), 20-25 Black Peppercorn (Sabut Kali Mirch), 2 Teaspoon Saunf (Fennel Seeds), 2 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds (Sabut Dhaniya)
- Coarsely grind the whole spices using a mortar and pestle. You do not need to make a fine powder here.
- Heat 1.5 cups of water in a kadhai or pan. When the water starts to boil, add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon salt in it.
- Drain the water from the soaked lentil and add it to the boiling water.
- Reduce the flame and let the mixture boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add besan (gram flour) to the boiling lentils and stir to combine.1 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- Then add red chilli powder, heeng (asafoetida) and 1 teaspoon salt.2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida), 2 Teaspoon Salt
- Also add the ground whole spices prepared earlier and mix everything well.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil and roast the mixture for 5 minutes.
- The filling for kachori is ready. Set it aside to cool.
Making the dough
- To make the pastry take maida (all purpose flour) in a large mixing bowl. Add salt in it.4 Cups (500 gm) Maida (Plain Flour / All Purpose Flour), 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Then add 2 tablespoon oil to the flour.
- Mix the flour and oil very well by rubbing the mixture between your hands such that all the flour particles are coated with oil.
- Add water slowly and knead the flour to make a dough.
- The consistency of the dough should be soft, similar to the dough for making rotis.
Preparing the kachoris
- Divide the filling prepared earlier into small balls.
- Take a piece of dough slightly larger than the filling and flatten it out with your hand to make a small disc keeping it slightly thick in the middle and slightly thinner on the sides.
- Place the ball of filling in the center of the disc.
- Brush some water with your fingers on the edges of the disc. Fold the edges on each other and seal the top. You can remove the extra dough from the top.
- Very gently shape the filled dough into round shape. With a greased hand flatten the ball slightly into the shape of a kachori.
- Make all the balls this way and place them on a greased plate.
Frying the kachoris
- Fill a deep heavy bottomed pan with oil up to 2/3rd mark and heat on medium flame. When the oil is medium hot, add 5-6 kachoris to the oil
- Stir and flip the kachoris continuously. Turn the heat to a low-medium setting after 1 minute and one by one turn the kachoris continuously. The kachoris will puff and start to float and come to the top in a few minutes.
- Continue flipping the kachoris every minute to ensure they cook evenly. Fry for around 20-25 minutes till they turn golden brown in color.
- Urad Dal Kachori is ready. Serve it hot with tamarind chutney or coriander chutney
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.