Mooli Paratha is a popular North Indian recipe generally prepared for Breakfast. It is traditionally a Punjabi recipe but now is popular all over India particularly in the Northern states.
Paranthas in their various forms like Plain, stuffed and folded are the staple breakfast in Punjab and various other parts of North India.
Parathas are made from an unleavened wheat flour dough (without using yeast). The dough is flattened and shallow fried with a little oil, ghee or butter.
There are two distinct ways of making Mooli Parathas. The traditional way is to make the Paratha by stuffing Mooli (Radish) Masala in the dough.
An easier way that makes equally delicious Mooli Parathas involves making the Mooli Parathas by adding the raw grated Mooli(radish) while making the dough itself.
Mooli Paratha is a healthier alternative to aloo paratha which is a more popular version of paratha in North India. Mooli (Radish) is rich sources of vitamins and minerals and lowers cholesterol.
To make Mooli Paratha at home follow the detailed step by step recipe posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Makki Mooli Methi Paratha
- Methi Paratha
- Palak Paratha
- Broccoli Paneer Paratha
- Paneer Paratha
- Gobi Paratha
Mooli Paratha Recipe
Ingredients For Mooli Paratha Recipe
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- 2 Medium Sized Daikon Radish (Mooli), grated
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or as per taste
- 2 Teaspoons Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Mooli Paratha Recipe
- Take whole wheat flour and besan (gram flour) in a wide bowl.2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour, 1/4 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- Also add red chilli powder, saunf (fennel seeds), ajwain (carom seeds) and salt to the bowl. Mix all the ingredients.1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 2 Teaspoons Saunf (Fennel Seeds), 1 Teaspoon Ajwain (Carom Seeds), 1 Teaspoon Salt, or as per taste
- Rinse the radishes thoroughly. Peel and grate them and add them to the flour mixture.2 Medium Sized Daikon Radish (Mooli), grated
- Also add chopped green chillies and coriander leaves.1 Green Chilli, 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves
- Add water slowly and knead to make a soft dough. Take care not to add too much water since the radish will leave some water.
- Let the dough sit for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6-8 equal parts.
- Make small balls and flatten them using a rolling pin and a board.
- Apply some oil or ghee on one side of the paratha. Then fold the paratha into half (semicircle). Apply some oil again and fold to make a quarter circle.
- Flatten it again in shape of triangles.
- Heat a tawa or girdle and put the paratha on the tawa. When the paratha is cooked from one side, reduce the flame and turn the paratha.
- Apply oil or ghee on the top. Again turn and apply ghee on the other side as well.
- Cook this way on low heat, till both sides turn golden brown. The paratha should become crispy from outside and soft & cooked from the inside.
- Mooli paratha is ready. Serve it hot with plain yogurt, raita, pickle or green chutney.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.