Chane Ka Khatta is an Indian curry made from black chickpeas (kale chane) cooked in a tangy and spicy gravy flavored with tamarind (imli).
This is one of the most popular dishes from the northern state of Himachal Pradesh where it is very commonly prepared in every household and is eaten with plain steamed rice.
Kale chane ka khatta is also one of the main dishes prepared in Himachali Dham, which is a popular traditional feast in Himachal Pradesh, prepared on special occasions like weddings, festivals etc.
‘Khatta’ in Hindi means sour. As the name suggests, this dish has a sour taste where the dominant flavor comes from the addition of imli (tamarind). Amchur (dry mango powder) can also be used as a substitute instead.
Chane ka khatta is a very healthy high protein dish due to the addition of black chickpeas. Simplicity of ingredients and steps followed to make this recipe makes it an easy & cost effective yet delicious dish.
There is no onion or tomato added in the gravy for this recipe. Instead the gravy is thickened by adding roasted whole wheat flour or besan (chickpea flour).
It also makes a nice change from the more common lentil & chickpea preparations made in an onion-tomato or yogurt based gravy and gives a greater variety and adds an acidic touch to the food.
To make Himachali Chane Ka Khatta at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Kala Chana Masala – black chickpeas gravy
- Sookhe Kale Chane – dry black chickpeas curry
- Chole Recipe – white chickpeas gravy
- Rajma Masala – red kidney beans gravy
Chane Ka Khatta Recipe | Himachali Khatta
Ingredients For Chane Ka Khatta Recipe | Himachali Khatta
- 1.5 Cups Boiled Black Chickpeas (Kala Chana)
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 2 Tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Tamarind Powder (Imli)
- 1 Teaspoon Mint Powder (Pudina)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Chane Ka Khatta Recipe | Himachali Khatta
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds (jeera) and asafoetida (heeng).1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- When cumin seeds start to splutter, add finely chopped green chillies. Stir fry for a few seconds, then add red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.1-2 Green Chillies, 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Then add whole wheat flour and cook for a minute till it gets roasted. This forms the base for the gravy. You can also use besan (chickpea flour) as a substitute for whole wheat flour.2 Tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour
- Mix tamarind powder with water to form a paste. Then add it to the pan along with dry mint powder (pudina) and fennel seeds.2 Tablespoons Tamarind Powder (Imli), 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (Saunf), 1 Teaspoon Mint Powder (Pudina)
- Add the boiled chickpeas to the pan. Mix and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add two cups of water and let the gravy simmer on high heat.
- After the first boil, reduce the heat to minimum and cook it for 4-5 minutes while it thickens.
- Our delicious Himachali kale chane ka khatta is ready. Serve it hot with steamed rice.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
2 thoughts on “Chane Ka Khatta Recipe | Himachali Khatta”
If amchur is used instead of tamarind, how much should be used?
You can add 2-3 teaspoons of Amchur powder instead of tamarind.