Aloo Choliya or Aloo Hara Chana Sabzi is an Indian vegetable curry made with potatoes and fresh green chickpeas. Green chickpeas are also called Choliya in some parts of the country.
This dish is generally made in winter as green chickpeas are available in abundance during this period. The fresh chickpeas which are tender and have a very flavorful taste make this dish special.
Green Chickpeas are very nutritious and are loaded with protein and dietary fibre, iron and calcium. Fresh green Chickpeas are also free from high sodium content found in canned versions.
They also contain several other vitamins and minerals like vitamins and B-complex, C, E, K, magnesium, zinc etc.
The curry can be served with any Indian flat bread like Chapati, Naan, Missi Roti, Paratha as well as with plain steamed rice. To make it more enjoyable with rice you can keep the curry bit thin i.e. add more water while cooking.
The recipe described here is for the gravy version which is more common. However, sometimes a dry version of Aloo Hara Chana Sabji is preferred to go along with breakfast or as a side vegetable dish.
To make Aloo Choliya at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Aloo Choliya Recipe | Aloo Hara Chana Sabzi
Ingredients For Aloo Choliya Recipe | Aloo Hara Chana Sabzi
- 1 Large Potato
- 1 Cup Green Chickpeas (Hara Chana or Choliya)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Large Tomato
- 2 Green Chillies
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves (Dhania)
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Aloo Choliya Recipe | Aloo Hara Chana Sabzi
- Heat some oil in a pressure cooker and add rai (black mustard seeds) to it. When the rai starts to sputter, add cumin seeds and fry them for a few seconds. Also add a pinch of asafoetida (heeng).1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds), 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- Add finely chopped onions along with ginger, garlic and green chilli paste to the cooker. Fry till the onions become soft and light brown in color.1 Onion, 3-4 Cloves of Garlic, 1 Inch Piece of Ginger, 2 Green Chillies
- Now add pureed or finely chopped tomatoes. Fry the gravy till the tomatoes are cooked and start leaving oil on the sides.1 Large Tomato
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt to the gravy.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Add diced potatoes to the gravy.1 Large Potato
- Also add fresh green chickpeas to the cooker.1 Cup Green Chickpeas (Hara Chana or Choliya)
- Add 2 cups water to the cooker. Close the lid and cook the potatoes and chickpeas till you get 1 whistle then cook for 2-3 more minutes. Open the pressure cooker cooker when all the steam has released.
- Aloo Choliya is ready. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot along with any Indian Bread or Rice.1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves (Dhania)
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.