Bharwa Bhindi or Stuffed Okra is a popular Indian side dish in which bhindi (okra / lady finger) are stuffed with a tangy and spicy masala filling.
The key ingredient to make this dish is the spicy bharwa (filling) masala that is made of garam masala, turmeric powder (haldi), red chillies, salt and other curry spices. Optionally dry roasted besan (gram flour) can also be added to the masala.
Bhindi or okra is mild in taste and thus is a good candidate for filling and giving it a spicy twist. If you prefer you can make this dish in mustard oil which lends it a characteristic taste.
Rich in nutrition
Bharwa Bhindi is a very delicious & healthy vegetarian side dish. Bhindi / Okra is low in saturated fat and very low in cholesterol and sodium. Additionally it is a good source of protein, iron, phosphorus, zinc and copper, dietary fibers, vitamins & other minerals.
Bharwa Bhindi goes well with any Indian bread like roti, poori, paratha or naan. Since this is a dry dish, for a complete meal, you can serve it along with some raita or dal and a salad.
To make Bharwa Bhindi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Bharwan Shimla Mirch – stuffed capsicum
- Bharwan Tamatar – stuffed tomatoes
- Besan Mirch – green chillies with besan stuffing
- Bhindi Masala – okra in onion tomato gravy
- Bhindi Ki Sabzi – stir fried okra
- Kurkuri Bhindi – crispy fried okra
- Bhindi Do Pyaza – stir fried okra & onion
- Aloo Bhindi – okra & potato curry
- Tindora Fry – stir fried tindora
Suggested recipe collections :
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Bharwa Bhindi Recipe | Stuffed Okra
Ingredients For Bharwa Bhindi Recipe | Stuffed Okra
- 500 gm Bhindi (Okra)
- 2 Teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or as per taste
- 2 Teaspoons Dhaniya Powder (Coriander Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder), optional
- 2 Tablespoons Dry Roasted Besan (Gram Flour), optional
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Bharwa Bhindi Recipe | Stuffed Okra
- Wash a bunch of Bhindi thoroughly. Give it time to dry. If needed you can also use a clean cloth to wipe the water. Remove the upper top and lower tip of the Bhindi. Use a knife to make a vertical cut i.e. make a slit across the bhindi in its entire length and now keep these slit bhindi aside.500 gm Bhindi (Okra)
- Make Masala for purpose of filling the bhindi by adding garam masala, salt, haldi (turmeric powder), dhaniya (coriander) powder, saunf (fennel seeds), jeera (cumin seeds). Optionally dry mango powder can be added to make it more tangy.2 Teaspoons Garam Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder), 1 Teaspoon Salt, or as per taste, 2 Teaspoons Dhaniya Powder (Coriander Powder), 1 Teaspoon Saunf (Fennel Seeds), 1/2 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds), 1/2 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder), optional
- Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in the masala mixture to lubricate it and mix it well. You can also add dry roasted besan (gram flour) in the masala mixture.2 Tablespoons Dry Roasted Besan (Gram Flour), optional
- Next fill Masala in bhindis through the slit. Put oil in a frying pan or kadhai and add the stuffed bhindi to it. After gentle stirring cover the pan with a lid and after 2 minutes open the pan to stir/turn the bhindi. This should be done delicately so that bhindis remain intact and at the same time are not over burnt.2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
- Reduce flame or heat to low. Watch at interval of 1-2 minutes until bhindi appears to become tender and turns dark green in color. Take caution that bhindis do not stock together or burn.
- Transfer Bharwa Bhindi to a serving bowl. Some people garnish it with coconut powder. Serve as a side dish with any Indian bread like roti, paratha, naan, missi roti etc. or with rice.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
2 thoughts on “Bharwa Bhindi Recipe | Stuffed Okra”
Thanks Xylenia. Glad you liked it! 🙂
Tnxxx 4 ur recipe it was really very helpful