Aloo bhindi sabzi is a simple and delicious North Indian stir fried vegetable dish made from bhindi (okra) and aloo (potato) and flavored with Indian spices.
Aloo bhindi sabzi should not be left out for long in the open and if it is not going to be consumed within 3-4 hours of cooking, it should be placed in a refrigerator for later use.
Okra or bhindi which is also commonly referred to as ladyfinger is known to have a positive effect on blood sugar control, among many other health benefits. Bhindi or okra is also considered good for constipation as it has the tendency to absorb water.
The addition of fried potatoes makes this dish more palatable esp. for the children and can also be packed in their lunch box. This is a no onion, no garlic recipe.
Aloo Bhindi Sabzi can be served with Rotis or Parathas in which case, it is normally accompanied by something liquid like dal or raita as the dish is dry and bit spicy. Aloo bhindi sabzi also goes very well as a side dish with rice and also both North Indian and South Indian main course.
To make Aloo Bhindi Sabzi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Bhindi ki Sabzi – okra stir fry
- Kurkuri Bhindi – crispy okra
- Bhindi Masala – okra cooked in onion tomato gravy
- Bharwa Bhindi – stir fried stuffed okra
- Bhindi Do Pyaza – onion & okra stir fry
Suggested recipe collections :
- Potato Recipes | 34 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 30 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 18 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Category: Main Course
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Aloo Bhindi Sabzi Recipe
- 2 Cup Okra (Bhindi)
- 1 Medium Sized Potato (Aloo)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil or Ghee
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Aloo Bhindi Recipe
Heat 1 tablespoon Oil in a pan and add 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera) in it. Fry them for a few seconds till they start to crackle. Also add a pinch of Asafoetida (Hing).
Now add chopped potato pieces and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute. The potato pieces should be smaller in size so that they take less time to fry.
Add chopped bhindi to the frying pan.
Add turmeric powder and salt. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes on a medium flame, stirring occasionally.
Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and dry mango powder (amchur). Fry for 3-4 minutes.
Aloo Bhindi Sabzi is ready. Serve it hot along with any Indian Bread or Rice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.