Bhindi Masala is made by cooking bhindi in a traditional punjabi onion tomato masala. This is a semi-dry version of this dish so I have not added any cream or curd to the gravy.
Various preparations of Bhindi or okra are very frequently cooked in Indian homes, since not only is this dish really quick and easy to make but is also a favorite of kids and adults alike.
This dish is best served hot with rotis or parathas or on the side of some rice-dal combination. You can serve it along with roti, dal, plain rice and raita to make a complete wholesome meal.
To make Bhindi Masala at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Bhindi Do Pyaza – okra & onion curry
- Bharwa Bhindi – stuffed masala okra
- Aloo Bhindi – okra & potato curry
- Kurkuri Bhindi – fried crunchy okra
- Bhindi Sabzi – okra cooked in Indian spices
Suggested recipe collections :
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 36 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Bhindi Masala Recipe | Okra in Onion Tomato Curry
Ingredients For Bhindi Masala Recipe | Okra in Onion Tomato Curry
- 500 gm Bhindi (Okra)
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Large Tomato
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Bhindi Masala Recipe | Okra in Onion Tomato Curry
- Wash the bhindi (okra) and dry them completely, by either letting it sit till all the water has evaporated or by wiping them thoroughly with a kitchen towel. The bhindis will become sticky if not dried properly.500 gm Bhindi (Okra)
- When the bhindis have dried, remove the stalk and stem of each bhindi and dice it into small round pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add jeera (cumin seeds) in it. Fry till the cumin seeds are roasted and begin to crackle.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Add minced garlic, grated ginger and finely chopped green chillies.3-4 Cloves Garlic, 1 Inch Piece of Ginger, 2-3 Green Chillies
- Then add finely chopped onion and fry it till it turns translucent or golden brown.1 Small Onion
- Add diced tomatoes and saute them till the tomatoes are completely cooked.1 Large Tomato
- Add dhaniya (coriander powder), red chilli powder, haldi (turmeric powder), 1/2 teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) and 1 teaspoon salt.1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder), 3/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1/2 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder), 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Then add the diced okras to the mixture.
- Mix everything together to evenly coat the bhindis with the masala.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the bhindis cook in the steam for 8-10 minutes. Keep stirring the mixture at regular intervals till they are soft.
- Bhindi Masala is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot on the side of roti or paratha.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.