Bhindi Masala is made by cooking bhindi in a traditional punjabi onion tomato masala. This is a semi-dry version of this dish so I have not added any cream or curd to the gravy.
Various preparations of Bhindi or okra are very frequently cooked in Indian homes, since not only is this dish really quick and easy to make but is also a favorite of kids and adults alike.
This dish is best served hot with rotis or parathas or on the side of some rice-dal combination. You can serve it along with roti, dal, plain rice and raita to make a complete wholesome meal.
To make Bhindi Masala at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Bhindi Do Pyaza – okra & onion curry
- Bharwa Bhindi – stuffed masala okra
- Aloo Bhindi – okra & potato curry
- Kurkuri Bhindi – fried crunchy okra
- Bhindi Sabzi – okra cooked in Indian spices
Suggested recipe collections :
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 30 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 18 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Category: Main Course
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Bhindi Masala (Dry) Recipe
- 500 gm Bhindi (Okra)
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Large Tomatoe, diced
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- ~1 inch piece of Ginger, grated
- 2-3 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Bhindi Masala (Dry) Recipe
Wash around 250 gms of Bhindi/ Okra. Dry them completely, by either letting it sit till all the water has evaporated or by wiping them thoroughly with a kitchen towel. The bhindis will become sticky if not dried properly.
When the bhindis have dried, remove the stalk and stem of each bhindi and dice it into small round pieces.
Heat oil in a pan and add 1 teaspoon of Jeera/ Cumin Seeds in it. Fry till the cumin seeds are roasted and begin to crackle.
Add 3-4 cloves of minced garlic, ~1 inch piece of grated ginger and 2-3 finely chopped Green Chillies.
Then add 1 small finely chopped onion and fry it till it turns translucent or golden brown.
Add 1-2 diced tomatoes and saute them till the tomatoes are completely cooked.
Add 1 teaspoon Dhaniya (Coriander Powder), 3/4 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder), 1/2 teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) and 1 teaspoon salt.
Then add the diced okras to the mixture.
Mix everything together to evenly coat the bhindis with the masala.
Cover the pan with a lid and let the bhindis cook in the steam for 8-10 minutes. Keep stirring the mixture at regular intervals till they are soft.
Bhindi Masala is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot on the side of roti or paratha.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.