Bhindi Do Pyaza is a spicy Indian dish made from bhindi (okra) and onions. The words ‘do pyaza’ (‘do’ means two and ‘pyaza’ means onion) mean that double the amount of onions are added in this dish.
This dish not only tastes delicious but is also simple and easy to make. Bhindi do pyaza is quite popular as a restaurant dish.
The use of generous amount of sautéed sliced onions accompanied by tempered spices greatly transforms the taste of fried bhindi (okra) and makes this dish as one of the best bhindi (okra) preparations.
Bhindi do pyaza suits very well as a side dish with rotis or Indian breads and even rice. You can have it with parathas during breakfast or enjoy it during lunch or dinner. This dish goes very well on the side of dal and raitas, specially boondi raita.
To make Bhindi Do Pyaza at home take a look at the video or follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Bhindi Masala – okra in onion tomato gravy
- Bharwa Bhindi – stuffed masala okra
- Aloo Bhindi – okra & potato curry
- Kurkuri Bhindi – fried crunchy okra
- Bhindi Sabzi – okra cooked in Indian spices
- Tindora Fry – sliced Tindora fried with seasonings
Suggested recipe collections :
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 36 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Bhindi Do Pyaza Recipe | Okra and Onion Curry
* Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for more videos.
Ingredients For Bhindi Do Pyaza Recipe | Okra and Onion Curry
- 500 Gram Okra (Bhindi)
- 2 Large Onions
- 1-2 Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or according to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Bhindi Do Pyaza Recipe | Okra and Onion Curry
- Heat some oil in a pan and add cumin seeds to it. Roast the cumin seeds for a few seconds till they start to splutter.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Add some thinly sliced onions to the pan. Also add ginger, garlic and green chilli paste. Saute for 3-4 minutes till the onions start looking translucent.2 Large Onions, 1 Inch Piece of Ginger, 2-3 Garlic Cloves, 1-2 Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)
- Add chopped okra (bhindi) to the pan and mix with the onions. You can chop the bhindi into small pieces or long slices. Make sure to let the bhindi dry thoroughly before chopping it, otherwise it will become sticky.500 Gram Okra (Bhindi)
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder (dhaniya powder), garam masala, dry mango powder (amchur) and salt.1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder), 1 Teaspoon Salt, or according to taste
- Fold the okra and onions along with the spices to mix everything well.
- Then cover with the pan with a lid and cook the vegetables on a medium flame.
- It will take around 15-20 minutes for the okra to be completely cooked. Keep stirring it occasionally in between. Turn off the heat when the bhindi is cooked and turns a darker shade of green.
- Bhindi Do Pyaza is now ready. Serve it hot with fresh chapati or paratha. It also goes very well along with some boondi raita or dal.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.