Palak corn also known as makai palak is a healthy and tasty Indian curry made from palak (spinach) and sweet corn kernels.
Both corn and palak which have different tastes and different colors complement each other very well in this dish. Sweet corn kernels also called Bhutta in Hindi provide a crunchy twist to this dish.
A healthy & nutritious dish
Palak or spinach is a green leafy vegetable filled with anti-oxidants and nutrients. It is considered to be one of the healthiest foods. Corn kernels are also a good source of calories and Vitamin B.
Varieties of spinach curries
There are many dishes which are based around fresh palak (spinach) puree as the base. To make the basic puree, spinach is first blanched and then cooked in a spicy onion tomato base. You can then eat the gravy simply or add paneer or other vegetables like potatoes, peas, corn, baby corn etc.
Palak corn is now becoming increasingly popular in restaurant menus and provides a welcome break from palak paneer, the most popular restaurant dish centered on spinach.
To make Palak Corn Gravy at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Palak Paneer – paneer & spinach curry
- Aloo Palak – potato spinach curry
- Palak Paneer Bhurji – scrambled paneer & spinach curry
- Palak Matar – peas & spinach curry
- Dal Palak – lentil & spinach stew
- Palak Kadhi – spinach in a chickpea flour gravy
Suggested recipe collections :
- Palak Recipes | 15 Indian Spinach Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 36 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Palak Corn Recipe | Spinach & Corn Curry
Ingredients For Palak Corn Recipe | Spinach & Corn Curry
- 250 gm Spinach Leaves (Palak)
- 1 Cup Boiled Corn Kernels
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil or Ghee
Step By Step Instructions for Palak Corn Recipe | Spinach & Corn Curry
- Wash the palak (spinach leaves) and boil them in water for 5 minutes. Let the spinach cool down a little and make a smooth puree in a blender.250 gm Spinach Leaves (Palak)
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds (jeera) in it. Fry them for a few seconds till they start to crackle.1 Tablespoon Oil or Ghee, 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Add finely chopped onion and green chillies along with ginger-garlic paste. Saute the onions for a minute till they turn golden brown in color.1 Medium Sized Onion, 1 Inch Piece of Ginger, 1-2 Green Chillies, 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- Make a puree of the tomatoes and fry till them for 2-3 minutes till the tomatoes are cooked.2 Large Tomatoes
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Mix everything well and cook the gravy for 2 minutes till it starts to leave oil on the sides.1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Add the spinach puree to the onion tomato gravy and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add around 1/2 cup water to adjust the consistency of the gravy. You can add more water to make it thinner if you want to eat it with Rice. Boil the gravy for a couple of minutes.
- Add boiled sweet corn kernels to the gravy and mix well. Then cover and cook for 2 minutes.1 Cup Boiled Corn Kernels
- Palak Corn is ready. Serve it hot along with any Indian Bread or Rice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.