Palak Matar is a healthy combination of fresh green leafy spinach and green peas made into a curry. The sweet and delicious green peas combine very well with spinach and add munch & flavor to this dark green colored dish.
Spinach is ground into a thick paste and cooked with Peas, Indian spices and condiments in a tomato gravy resulting in a smooth texture and perfect flavor.
Compared to its more famous and popular sibling Palak Paneer, this dish is vegan and also a good choice if you like spinach but are not so fond of eating Panner (Indian Cottage Cheese) or simply looking for a change. Also due to use of Peas in place of Paneer, the dish is rather light on your stomach.
Palak Matar Sabzi is quite nutritious as Spinach being a green leafy vegetable is loaded with iron and other nutrients and green peas are a rich source of protein.
The dish is a vegetarians delight and is a good accompaniment to all type of Indian breads like Roti & Naan and can also be had with rice.
To make Palak Matar at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Palak Paneer – spinach & paneer curry
- Palak Corn – spinach & corn curry
- Palak Paneer Bhurji – scrambled paneer & spinach curry
- Aloo Palak – spinach & potato curry
- Palak Kadhi – spinach in gram flour & yogurt curry
- Dal Palak – spinach & lentil stew
Suggested recipe collections :
- Palak Recipes | 13 Indian Spinach Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 30 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 18 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Category: Main Course
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Palak Matar Recipe
- 1 Bunch (250g) Spinach (Palak)
- 2 Medium sized Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- 2 Green Chillies
- 4-5 Cloves of Garlic
- ~2 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Palak Matar
Wash the Spinach Leaves thoroughly and drain the water in a colander.
Boil Spinach Leaves in 2-3 cups of water. Let it heat for 4-5 minutes. You can also microwave them instead of boiling.
Let the Spinach cool down. Then transfer it to a blender and make a fine puree.
Heat Ghee or Oil in a pan or kadai (wok). Add Cumin Seeds and fry till they start to splutter. Also add a pinch of Asafoetida (Heeng). Add finely chopped Green Chillies, Garlic and Ginger to the oil. Stir the mixture and fry them for a few seconds.
Now add pureed or finely chopped Tomatoes. Fry the gravy till the Tomatoes are cooked and start leaving oil on the sides.
Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt to the gravy along with spinach puree and green peas. Close the lid and let it cook for 5-6 minutes till the peas become soft.
Palak matar is ready. Serve it hot along with any Indian Bread or Rice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.