Palak Matar is a healthy combination of fresh green leafy spinach and green peas made into a curry. The sweet and delicious green peas combine very well with spinach and add munch & flavor to this dark green colored dish.
Spinach is ground into a thick paste and cooked with Peas, Indian spices and condiments in a tomato gravy resulting in a smooth texture and perfect flavor.
Compared to its more famous and popular sibling Palak Paneer, this dish is vegan and also a good choice if you like spinach but are not so fond of eating Panner (Indian Cottage Cheese) or simply looking for a change. Also due to use of Peas in place of Paneer, the dish is rather light on your stomach.
Palak Matar Sabzi is quite nutritious as Spinach being a green leafy vegetable is loaded with iron and other nutrients and green peas are a rich source of protein.
The dish is a vegetarians delight and is a good accompaniment to all type of Indian breads like Roti & Naan and can also be had with rice.
To make Palak Matar at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Palak Paneer – spinach & paneer curry
- Palak Corn – spinach & corn curry
- Palak Paneer Bhurji – scrambled paneer & spinach curry
- Aloo Palak – spinach & potato curry
- Palak Kadhi – spinach in gram flour & yogurt curry
- Dal Palak – spinach & lentil stew
Suggested recipe collections :
- Palak Recipes | 15 Indian Spinach Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 36 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Palak Matar Recipe | Spinach and Green Peas Curry
Ingredients For Palak Matar Recipe | Spinach and Green Peas Curry
- 250 gm Spinach Leaves (Palak)
- 2 Medium sized Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- 2 Green Chillies
- 4-5 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/8 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Palak Matar Recipe | Spinach and Green Peas Curry
- Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly and drain the water in a colander.250 gm Spinach Leaves (Palak)
- Boil spinach leaves in 2-3 cups of water. Let it heat for 4-5 minutes. You can also microwave them instead of boiling.
- Let the spinach cool down. Then transfer it to a blender and make a fine puree.
- Take out peas from their pods or you can use frozen peas instead.1 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan or kadai (wok). Add cumin seeds and fry till they start to splutter. Also add a pinch of asafoetida (heeng). Add finely chopped green chillies, garlic and ginger to the oil. Stir the mixture and fry them for a few seconds.2 Green Chillies, 4-5 Cloves of Garlic, 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1/8 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida), 2 Inch Piece of Ginger
- Now add pureed or finely chopped tomatoes. Fry the gravy till the tomatoes are cooked and start leaving oil on the sides.2 Medium sized Tomatoes
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt to the gravy along with spinach puree and green peas.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Close the lid and let it cook for 5-6 minutes till the peas become soft.
- Palak matar is ready. Serve it hot along with any Indian bread or rice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.