Aloo Palak Gravy is a simple and healthy combination of green leafy vegetable spinach and everyone’s favorite aloo (potato).
The potatoes are tossed in gravy of pureed spinach, onions, tomatoes, green chilies, ginger and garlic, which is flavored with light masalas (Indian spices).
Alternately a lighter dry version of this dish can be made by simply tossing together potatoes and spinach in light masalas without onion and tomato based gravy.
Compared to its more famous and popular sibling palak paneer, this dish is vegan. It is also a good choice if you like spinach but are not so fond of eating paneer (Indian cottage cheese) or are looking for a lighter dish while keeping the nutrition intact.
Palak or spinach is loaded with iron and other nutrients and aloo (potatoes) have vitamins, minerals and starch in them. This vegan dish is a good accompaniment to all type of Indian breads like rotis, naan etc.
To make Aloo Palak Gravy at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Dahi Aloo – potatoes cooked in yogurt gravy
- Palak Paneer – spinach & paneer curry
- Palak Matar – spinach & peas curry
- Palak Paneer Bhurji – scrambled paneer & spinach curry
- Dal Palak – lentil & spinach stew
- Aloo Methi – potato & fenugreek curry
- Aloo Tamatar – potatoes cooked in tomato gravy
Suggested recipe collections :
- Palak Recipes | 14 Indian Spinach Recipes
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Aloo Palak Gravy Recipe | Potato & Spinach Curry
Ingredients For Aloo Palak Gravy Recipe | Potato & Spinach Curry
- 250 gm Spinach (Palak)
- 3 Boiled Potatoes
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil or Ghee
Step By Step Instructions for Aloo Palak Gravy Recipe | Potato & Spinach Curry
- Thoroughly wash spinach leaves (palak) and boil them in water for 5 minutes. You can use microwave the leaves instead. Make a fine & smooth puree of the leaves in a blender.250 gm Spinach (Palak)
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds (jeera) in it. Fry them for a few seconds till they start to crackle.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Finely chop or make a puree of onion, garlic cloves, ginger & green chillies and add them to the pan. Fry the onions for a minute or till they start to turn golden brown in color.1 Medium Sized Onion, 2-3 Garlic Cloves, 1 Inch Piece of Ginger, 1-2 Green Chillies
- Make a puree of large tomatoes and fry till them with the gravy for 2-3 minutes till the tomatoes are cooked.2 Large Tomatoes
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt or to taste. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes or till the gravy starts to leave oil on the sides.1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Add the pureed spinach to the gravy and mix it well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add water to make the gravy of your desired consistency. The gravy is supposed to be on the thicker side when eaten along with roti or naan, but you can make it slightly thinner if eating with rice. I added roughly 3/4th cup of water.
- Add chopped boiled potatoes to the gravy. Cover and cook for 2 minutes so the potatoes absorb the flavors of the gravy.3 Boiled Potatoes
- Aloo Palak is ready. Serve it hot along with any Indian bread or rice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.