Palak Paneer Bhurji is a healthy and delicious Indian dish made with spinach and scrambled paneer (Indian cottage cheese). This flavorful dish is very easy to cook and can be prepared in just a few minutes.
To make this dish, finely chopped fresh palak (spinach) and freshly grated or crumbled paneer is cooked along with onions, tomatoes and a mild dose of Indian spices.
This dish tastes best when using homemade paneer, since it crumbles very easily. However, it can also be prepared using store bought paneer and grating it. Also this recipe calls for finely chopped spinach, and the spinach leaves should not be blended into a puree.
This dish is is less common but an interesting twist to its more famous and popular sibling palak paneer. Palak paneer bhurji mirrors a classical fried and scrambled eggs preparation which goes by the named ‘bhurji’. Another similar dish which uses only paneer but has similar texture and preparation method as this dish is paneer bhurji.
Healthy & nutritious
Palak paneer bhurji is quite nutritious, as spinach being a green leafy vegetable is loaded with iron and other nutrients and paneer is a rich source of protein. Both the ingredients are low in calories as well.
Spinach is something that the kids may not like on its own. This dish makes spinach more palatable and gives it a creamy touch & texture which makes it more likable to kids.
This sumptuous palak paneer bhurji is a good accompaniment to all type of Indian breads like rotis, phulkas, Naan etc. I can even be had with rice.
Another fun way to enjoy palak paneer bhurji and to make it even more kid friendly is to use it as a filling for sandwiches, kathi rolls or wraps.
To make palak paneer bhurji wrap, place 2 spoons of the bhurji on a roti, then sprinkle some finely chopped onions, chaat masala & lemon juice on top. You can also drizzle some mint chutney, coriander chutney or tomato ketchup on top. Then roll the roti to make a wrap and enjoy.
To make Palak Paneer Bhurji at home take a look at the video or follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Paneer Bhurji – scrambled paneer in onion tomato gravy
- Palak Paneer – paneer cooked in a spinach gravy
- Palak Corn – spinach & sweet corn gravy
- Aloo Palak – potato & spinach gravy
- Palak Matar – spinach & peas gravy
Suggested recipe collections :
- Paneer Recipes | 25 Easy Indian Paneer Recipes
- Palak Recipes | 15 Indian Spinach Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 36 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Palak Paneer Bhurji Recipe
* Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for more videos.
Ingredients For Palak Paneer Bhurji Recipe
- 100 gm Spinach Leaves (Palak)
- 200 gm Paneer
- 1 Small Onion
- 2 Medium Sized Tomatoes
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic
- ~1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Palak Paneer Bhurji Recipe
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds (jeera) in it. Roast the cumin seeds for a few seconds.
- When the cumin seeds start crackling, add some finely chopped onions, finely chopped green chillies, minced ginger & garlic.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes on medium heat till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes to the pan.
- Stir occasionally and cook for 4-5 minutes till the tomatoes become soft.
- Add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder, garam masala and salt to the pan.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- Stir to mix and roast the spices for a couple of minutes.
- Add chopped spinach leaves to the pan.
- Mix well with the masala and let it cook. The leaves will start leaving water.
- Cook till the water is dried up and the spinach leaves are cooked.
- Add crumbled or grated paneer to the pan.
- Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes. In the end, sprinkle some lemon juice on top and mix again.
- Palak Paneer Bhurji is ready. Serve it hot with roti, naan or rice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.