Palak Paneer is a famous and distinctive North Indian gravy made with spinach and paneer (Indian cottage cheese). To make this dish cubes of paneer are added to spinach puree cooked in a spicy onion-tomato-garlic gravy.
Palak paneer is one of the most loved north Indian dishes and is a popular paneer dish served in most of the Indian restaurants. Spinach adds a distinct flavor to the curry and provides a great change from the normal paneer dishes.
Some people also add rich milk or cream to give the gravy a rich silky texture. To add some extra flavor, you can also slightly fry the paneer pieces till they are golden brown.
Rich in nutrition
Palak Paneer is a very delicious and healthy vegetarian dish. It combines the goodness of leafy vegetable in form of Spinach with Paneer which is rich in proteins and low in calories.
Spinach is one of the healthiest green vegetables and is packed with protein, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, Vitamin A and folate.
The dish goes very well with almost all varieties of Indian Breads like Chapati, Missi Roti, Paratha, Naan etc. It can also be enjoyed with various rice varieties like Jeera Pulao, Veg Pulao or even normal steamed rice.
To make Palak Paneer at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Palak Matar – spinach & peas curry
- Aloo Palak Gravy – spinach & potato curry
- Palak Paneer Bhurji – scrambled paneer & spinach curry
- Methi Malai Paneer – fenugreek & paneer curry
- Matar Paneer – peas & paneer curry
- Paneer Makhani – paneer cooked in buttery tomato sauce
- Dal Palak – spinach & lentils stew
- Palak Kadhi – spinach, yogurt & gram flour kadhi
Suggested recipe collections :
- Paneer Recipes | 22 Easy Indian Paneer Recipes
- Palak Recipes | 14 Indian Spinach Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Palak Paneer Recipe | Spinach Curry with Paneer
Ingredients For Palak Paneer Recipe | Spinach Curry with Paneer
- 1 Bunch (250 gm) Spinach / Palak
- 100 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese), cubed
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- 5-6 Cloves of garlic
- 2 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- 1/2 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Palak Paneer Recipe | Spinach Curry with Paneer
- Wash a bunch of spinach thoroughly and cook with 1/2 cup of water in a cooker for around 5 minutes. You can also blanch it in the microwave. Then set it aside and let it cool for sometime.1 Bunch (250 gm) Spinach / Palak
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan and fry the cumin seeds till they start to crackle. Make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies. Finely chop or grate the onions. Add the onions and ginger, garlic & green chilli paste to the pan. Fry till they turn golden brown in color.1 Large Onion, 5-6 Cloves of garlic, 2 Inch Piece of Ginger, 2-3 Green Chillies, 1/2 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- Add red chilli powder, garam masala, kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves), haldi (turmeric powder) and salt. Mix well and fry for 1 minute.1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/4 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/4 Teaspoon Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves), 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Add pureed or finely chopped tomatoes to the mixture.2 Tomatoes
- Cook till the raw aroma of the tomatoes goes away and they start leaving oil on the sides.
- When the spinach has cooled down, make a smooth puree and add it to the pan.
- Mix it well with the gravy. Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced paneer cubes to the gravy and cook for a couple more minutes. Palak paneer is ready. Serve it hot with any Indian bread like roti, paratha, naan, missi roti etc. or with rice.100 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese), cubed
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.