Jeera Rice or Cumin Rice is a simple Indian rice dish flavored with cumin seeds. Cumin seeds and select Indian spices sautéed in ghee add a unique flavor to plain rice when cooked together. This rice dish is quite common in North India.
Jeera Rice makes a delicious and aromatic side dish which can be served with any meal to make it more interesting. It is comfort food that gives you a feeling of fullness after a meal.
This is a very easy recipe that can be made in minutes if you have plain steamed rice. It is a great way to elevate plain rice, specially day old leftover rice.
You can serve Jeera rice garnished with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves. In restaurants it may also be garnished with thinly sliced caramelized onions.
Apart from almost any Indian curry or dal, jeera rice can also be eaten with pickle, yoghurt and some spicy fried pappad. Some people prefer to have to have this rice with a hot spoon of desi ghee.
To make Jeera Rice at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Jeera Rice Recipe | Cumin Rice
Ingredients For Jeera Rice Recipe | Cumin Rice
- 2 Cups Rice
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- 3 Cloves Laung (Cloves)
- 2 Green Cardamom (Hari Elaichi)
- 1 Javitri (Mace Strand)
- 1 Inch Dalchini (Cinnamon Stick)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Teaspoons Cooking Oil
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
Step By Step Instructions for Jeera Rice Recipe | Cumin Rice
- Heat some oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and fry them for a few seconds till they start to splutter.2 Teaspoons Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Add bay leaf (tej patta), green cardamom (choti elaichi), mace strand (javitri), cloves (laung) and a small stick of cinnamon (dalchini).1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta), 3 Cloves Laung (Cloves), 2 Green Cardamom (Hari Elaichi), 1 Javitri (Mace Strand), 1 Inch Dalchini (Cinnamon Stick)
- Wash rice thoroughly and add them to the pan.2 Cups Rice
- Also add water and salt to taste.4 Cups Water, 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Pressure cook the rice for 10 minutes. The rice should be cooked but it should not become mushy.
- Finally add a few chopped coriander leaves and mix well.1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- Jeera Rice is ready. You can garnish the rice with caramelized or deep fried onion slices and serve it with any Indian Gravy or Dal.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.