Cheese stuffed jalapeño poppers are a popular appetizer or snack made with halved jalapeno peppers which are stuffed with a flavorful, creamy and slightly spicy cheese filling. The peppers are then breaded and baked till crispy.
Jalapeño poppers have grown in popularity over the years, and can be found as an appetizer or snack at many restaurants and parties. The contrast of the spicy peppers and the creamy gooey cheese makes them a delectable and palate pleasing appetizer.
Although jalapeños are native to Mexico and a staple in their cuisine, these cheese stuffed jalapeño poppers are likely to have originated in the United States inspired from Tex-Mex & Southwestern flavors. These cuisines are known for their flavorful & spicy food and often combine traditional Mexican food with American influences.
Main ingredients for the cheese filling
Jalapeño poppers are usually stuffed with a mixture of various cheeses and spices. The classic filling is made up of the following ingredients –
- Cream cheese – makes up the base of the filling and adds creaminess and tanginess to the dish and also helps balance out the spice of the jalapeños.
- Cheddar cheese – sharp cheddar cheese is shredded and added to the filling, providing it a depth of flavor and richness.
- Spices & herbs – seasonings like garlic powder and onion powder are a must have for this filling. Paprika, black pepper and salt add a hint of spice. You can also add fresh or dried herbs like chives, cilantro or parsley for some freshness.
- Optional ingredients – You can add a mix of various types of cheeses or cheese blends like monterey jack, mozzarella or pepper jack as per your choice. Some people also like to add some hot sauce for some spice and color.
How to make jalapeño poppers?
These jalapeno poppers are really easy to make in just a few simple steps –
- Combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and spices in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the jalapeño peppers in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and fleshy part from inside, with the help of a spoon.
- Stuff the jalapeño halves with the cheese filling.
- Add a layer of seasoned breadcrumbs on top of the cheese filling.
- Bake until the jalapeños are slightly softened and the cheese is bubbly and melted.
Some handy tips for making jalapeño poppers
Here are a few handy tips to keep in mind while preparing jalapeño poppers –
- Make sure to bring the cream cheese to room temperature and let it become soft before using it, otherwise it will be too hard to mix.
- Make sure to use gloves or wash your hands thoroughly after handling the jalapeños to avoid accidentally touching and burning your skin or eyes.
- Don’t remove the top part of the jalapeños when cutting them. They should be shaped like a boat and closed from the top to prevent the cheese filling from leaking out.
- You can optionally blanch the jalapeños, by boiling them for 2-4 mins to reduce the spiciness.
- Level and fill the cheese filling only upto the top edge of the jalapeños to prevent it from bubbling outside.
- The breadcrumbs can either layered just on the top of the cheese, or the jalapeños can be dipped in a flour paste and completely coated in breadcrumbs on all sides.
- Optionally, after baking, the jalapeño poppers can be broiled for 2 mins to develop a crispy and slightly burnt crust on the top.
- The jalapeños are baked in this recipe, but you can also fry them for a more crispy exterior.
Cheese stuffed jalapeño poppers are a versatile and delicious appetizer that can be served in a variety of settings. They are the perfect finger food and can be served as appetizers in parties, gatherings and events or can be served as part of a Mexican inspired meal.
You can serve these jalapeño poppers with any dipping sauce of your choice. My favorites are a sweet & tangy honey mustard sauce (made by mixing honey and dijon mustard), a spicy aioli (made with creamy mayonnaise, garlic, hot sauce and lemon juice), ranch dressing or tomato ketchup.
To make cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
* Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for more videos.
Ingredients For Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
- 8-10 Jalapeños
For the cheese filling
- 1 Cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika or Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
For the breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
Step By Step Instructions for Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
Preparing the cheese filling
- Take cream cheese in a mixing bowl. The cheese should be at room temperature and soft enough to mix.1 Cup Cream Cheese
- Then add shredded cheddar cheese to the bowl.1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper powder and salt to the mixture.1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika, 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch), 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Mix all the ingredients together to make the filling and set aside.
Preparing the breadcrumbs
- Pulse some bread slices to make breadcrumbs or use a readymade panko mixture and spread it on a plate.1 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Add garlic powder, black pepper powder and salt to the breadcrumbs. You can skip if using readymade pre seasoned breadcrumbs.1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch), 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Preparing the jalapeno poppers
- Cut the jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove all the seeds and fleshy part. Let the top part of tha jalapenos remain to hold the filling.
- Stuff the jalapenos with the cream cheese mixture prepared earlier and gently press it.
- Press the stuffed jalapeno in the breadcrumbs with the cheese side facing down.
- Turn around and gently press the breadcrumbs with your fingers to make them stick to the cheese and add more on the top if needed.
- Place the stuffed jalapenos on a lined baking tray.
- Bake them at 375℉ or 200℃ for around 15 minutes or till the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Take out the tray from the over.
- Jalapeno poppers are ready. Serve them hot with any dipping sauce of your choice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.