Avocado fries are made from sliced avocado wedges which are coated in breadcrumbs and fried or baked till crispy and golden brown. They offer a delicious crispy texture on the outside, while the inside remains soft and creamy.
Avocado fries are a special treat that can be enjoyed as an appetizer or snack, and they are perfect for those who are looking for a new and exciting way to eat avocados. These fries are sure to impress your taste buds.
Avocado Fries are a unique and creative way to enjoy avocados. These fries are a delicious and healthy alternative to regular potato fries, and they can be easily made at home.
Avocado is considered a superfood and is packed with nutrients such as healthy fats, fiber and vitamins. However, avocados should be consumed in moderation due to their high calorific value.
Coating and seasoning
The avocado wedges should first be coated in a dry flour, such as wheat flour, cornmeal or almond flour. This layer of dry flour ensures that the rest of the coatings stick to it well.
After this, the avocados are dipped in a liquid such as milk or eggs. You can use soy milk or almond milk here to make a vegan version. Finally coat the avocados in panko or breadcrumbs.
Avocado fries can be seasoned with a variety of herbs and spices, such as paprika, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper etc. to add more flavor to the dish.
Cooking the avocado fries
There are various ways to cook these avocado fries :
- You can deep fry or pan fry the avocado fries in medium hot oil for a crispy golden texture.
- You can bake them in the oven at 400F for 15-20 minutes. This is a much healthier option and I like the texture of the fries more compared to baking.
- Another option is to air fry the coated avocados, which is what I have done here. You can air fry them at 390F for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway in between.
Some handy tips for making this recipe
Here are some specific tips to help you make the perfect avocado fries –
- It’s best to use firm avocados for this recipe. If you use overly ripe and soft avocados, they will not be able to hold their shape elegantly when sliced.
- Cut the avocados lengthwise and after removing the seeds, cut them into uniform slices about 1/2 inch thick. I recommend equal sized slices instead of wedges to ensure they are coated and cooked evenly.
- Mix some seasoning in the flour & breadcrumbs being used to coat the avocados. Shake off the excess coating before frying.
Avocado Fries can be used as an appetizer for a party or as a side dish with the meals. They go well on the side of burgers, sandwiches etc.
They are also a great option for a taco filling, as the creamy avocados complement the other tangy fillings very well. You can also use them as a topping for salads.
You should serve the avocado fries while they are hot and crispy. You can sprinkle grated parmesan cheese, or chopped fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley over the avocado fries.
You can enjoy avocado fries with a variety of dipping sauces like tomato ketchup, mayonnaise, hot & sweet sauce, or my favorite is a dip made with dijon mustard, mayonnaise, honey & garlic.
To make avocado fries at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Potato Wedges
- Cheese & Potato Tater Tots
- Cheese Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers
- Bread Rolls
- Cajun Potatoes
- Potato & Corn Cutlet
Avocado Fries Recipe | Air Fryer or Oven
Ingredients For Avocado Fries Recipe | Air Fryer or Oven
- 3 Avocados
- 1/4 Cup Plain Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs or Panko
- 2 Teaspoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Avocado Fries Recipe | Air Fryer or Oven
- Combine plain flour, garlic powder, pepper & salt in a mixing bowl for the first coating.1/4 Cup Plain Flour, 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch), 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Take some milk in a second bowl for the dipping the avocados.1/2 Cup Milk
- In a third plate or bowl, add panko or breadcrumbs. Optionally, you can also season the breadcrumbs with a pinch of salt and pepper.1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pit and skin.3 Avocados
- Slice them into equal slices roughly 1/2 inch in thickness.
- Coat the avocado slices in the flour on all sides.
- Dip the flour coated avocados in milk.
- Cover the avocado in breadcrumbs completely. Gently press and then tap away the excess.
- Place the coated avocados in an air fryer basket and spray with a little bit of oil. Air fry at 390F for 10 minutes, turning them around halfway. You can also bake them at 400F in an oven for 15-20 minutes.2 Teaspoon Cooking Oil
- Take out the avocados when the coating is crispy and golden brown. Immediately toss in some salt and pepper. You can also add some chaat masala for an Indian twist.
- Avocado fries are ready. Garnish with parmesan cheese or chopped fresh herbs, and serve hot with a dip of your choice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.