Tandoori Gobi or Gobi Tikka is a dry dish made by roasting cauliflower florets in an oven or tandoor. It is a popular appetizer in India.
Gobi tikka partly shares its preparation method with the more well known and popular paneer tikka. The two dishes are traditional North Indian dishes which belong to same class of tandoori starters. However gobi tikka and paneer tikka differ in taste.
To prepare tandoori gobi, tender florets of gobi (cauliflower) are coated and marinated in yogurt & spices, and then typically roasted in an oven or tandoor.
The term tandoor normally refers to a cylindrical clay oven used in cooking and baking in the Indian subcontinent. Cooking food in a tandoor gives a charred and smokey flavor to dishes. While it is difficult to completely replicate the flavor at home, grilling or baking in oven comes close to the original taste.
Cauliflower is a veggie that has good nutritional value and as Tandoori Gobi is roasted and not deep fried like many other Indian dishes, it retains much of its nutrition.
The addition of spices and yogurt adds more flavor to the taste of gobi and makes it a healthy snack as well as a good appetizer.
While serving you can sprinkle some chaat masala and lemon juice on the gobi tikka. It tastes best when eaten with mint chutney and pickled onions.
To make Tandoori Gobi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Tandoori Gobi Recipe | Gobi Tikka | Grilled Cauliflower
Ingredients For Tandoori Gobi Recipe | Gobi Tikka | Grilled Cauliflower
- 1 Cauliflower (Gobi)
- 1/2 Cup Green Capsicum (Bell Pepper / Shimla Mirch)
- 2 Cups Hung Curd (Strained yogurt / Greek yogurt)
- 2 Tablespoon Besan (Gram Flour)
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 Teaspoon Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 2 Teaspoons Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 2 Teaspoons Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Tandoori Gobi Recipe | Gobi Tikka | Grilled Cauliflower
- Thoroughly wash and break cauliflower (bobi) into medium sized florets. Add 1 teaspoon salt to some water and boil the cauliflower florets for 5 minutes till they are slightly soft. This will allow them to absorb the marinade better.1 Cauliflower (Gobi)
- Beat yogurt (curd) in a bowl. Add ginger-garlic paste, carom seeds (ajwain), red chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder (amchur), chaat masala, crushed dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) and salt.2 Cups Hung Curd (Strained yogurt / Greek yogurt), 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic paste, 1 Teaspoon Ajwain (Carom Seeds), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 2 Teaspoons Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder), 1 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder), 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala, 1 Teaspoon Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves), 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Roast some gram flour (besan) in a pan for a minute till it is slightly brown and add it to the yogurt mixture. Adding besan is optional but it gives a nice color and texture to the tikkas.2 Tablespoon Besan (Gram Flour)
- Mix all the spices in the yogurt and beat it to make a smooth paste of thick consistency. Make sure that there are no lumps of besan in the mixture.
- Chop the bell peppers into small squares and add them to the yogurt mixture.1/2 Cup Green Capsicum (Bell Pepper / Shimla Mirch)
- Also add the cauliflower florets to the yogurt.1 Cauliflower (Gobi)
- Fold the mixture to coat the cauliflower florets completely with the marinade. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for atleast 1-2 hours. Ideally you should allow the mixture to rest overnight to allow more of the marinade to seep in the florets.
- To grill the cauliflower, preheat the oven to 200 C or 400 F. Line a wire rack with some aluminium foil and brush it with oil.
- Place the cauliflower florets on the lined rack and bake them for around 30-40 minutes till they are golden and crispy. Turn them over after 15 minutes or so to ensure that they are cooked evenly.
- Tandoori Gobi is ready. Sprinkle some chaat masala and lemon juice on the Gobi Tikka and serve it hot with mint chutney and pickled onions.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.