Hara Bhara Kabab is a delicious Indian veg cutlet made from Potatoes and Spinach (Palak). ‘Hara’ in Hindi means green, which refers to the green color of Spinach imparted to the cutlet.
Hara Bhara Kabab is a very popular snack and is listed in the menu of majority of restaurants in India. It is also a great appetizer to serve for parties and special occasions.
A tasty & nutritious snack
True to its name, it contains very healthy green ingredients which makes it a perfect snack for all age groups. I have used Spinach leaves to make this Kabab, but you can also add Bathua (Chenopodium Leaves), Capsicum, Green Beans or Peas to this recipe.
There are few different ways of cooking the patty. In this recipe, I have chosen to deep fry it, but you can shallow fry it if you want. You can also go with an alternate option of baking it which will give similar results and reduce calories.
Tips for preparing the kababs in advance
Hara Bhara Kabab is best served freshly cooked when it is crunchy and crispy. However, you can prepare the patties in advance if needed, refrigerate them in airtight box and then fry just before serving.
If you cannot serve them fresh, then you can reheat on hot pan or bake them to preserve the original taste and crunchiness, however microwaving these cutlets will make them soggy.
Hara Bhara Kabab goes very well with Tomato Ketchup, coriander chutney or mint chutney. It is a great snack to enjoy on a rainy day and can also be served as a tea-time snack.
Another way of enjoying these kababs is to use them as a patty for burgers as they compliment the layers of onions, tomatoes and other sauces very well. You can make the kababs slightly larger in size if you want to use them as burger patties.
To make Hara Bhara Kabab at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
- Palak Recipes | 14 Indian Spinach Recipes
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
Hara Bhara Kabab Recipe | Spinach & Potato Cutlet
Ingredients For Hara Bhara Kabab Recipe | Spinach & Potato Cutlet
- 250 gm Spinach (Palak)
- 3 Large Potatoes
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs or Panko
- 3 Teaspoon Corn Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger Powder (Saunth)
- 1.5 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1.5 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 20 Cashew Nuts
- Oil for Frying
Step By Step Instructions for Hara Bhara Kabab Recipe | Spinach & Potato Cutlet
- Wash and rinse the spinach leaves and drain the water.250 gm Spinach (Palak)
- Coarsely chop the leaves and add them to a pan or pot.
- Blanch the leaves till they are wilted. There is no need to add extra water, since spinach leaves release their own water when heated.
- Boil and peel the potatoes. Take a large mixing bowl and coarsely mash the potatoes in it.3 Large Potatoes
- Add the blanched spinach leaves to the bowl and mix them with the potatoes.
- Add green chillies, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, ginger powder (saunth), chaat masala and salt to the mixing bowl.2 Green Chilies, 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, 1 Teaspoon Ginger Powder (Saunth), 1.5 Teaspoon Chaat Masala, 1.5 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Also add corn flour (or corn starch) and breadcrumbs to absorb the excess moisture.3 Teaspoon Corn Flour, 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs or Panko
- Fold the spices and breadcrumbs in the potato and spinach mixture to mix everything evenly.
- Take a small handful of mixture and shape to create a small patty, roughly 2 inches in diameter and ~1/2 inch in thickness. Create all patties this way.
- Place a cashew nut on top of each cutlet for decoration and gently push it, so that it is half inside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the cutlets in batches on medium heat, till they are brown and crispy. Keep flipping to ensure that they are evenly cooked on all sides.
- Remove them from the oil and place them on an absorbent paper. Finish frying up all the cutlets this way.
- Hara bhara kabab is ready. Sprinkle a little bit of chaat masala on top and serve them hot with tomato ketchup or coriander chutney.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
4 thoughts on “Hara Bhara Kabab Recipe | Spinach & Potato Cutlet”
Made this for Holi, all friends and family enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Thanks Ramesh 🙂
What is chaat masala and where can I buy it? Can these be cooked in the Air Fryer with the same results? Thank you.
Hey Gayle, thanks for reaching out to us. Chaat Masala is a very commonly used blend of various Indian spices like Dry Mango Powder, Cumin, Coriander Powder, Dried Ginger, pepper etc. It has a sour, spicy & salty taste. You can purchase it at any Indian Grocery store or buy it online (I’ve added a link to the product on amazon in the ingredient section).
And yes, these can be cooked in an air fryer or even baked with great results. To make them in an air fryer, add 2 teaspoons of oil to the mashed potato mixture. Then brush the patties with a little oil and cook them at 320 F for around 10 minutes.
Hope that helps! 🙂