Sabudana Vada is a crispy delicious snack made by deep frying spiced sabudana and potato cutlets. This is traditionally a Maharashtrian recipe, but is now widely enjoyed across other parts of the country as well.
Sabudana vada is a popular recipe for vrats/fasts as it contains no onion and garlic. Sabudana (also known as sago or tapioca) is one of the most common ingredients used for making recipes for vrats during festivals like Navratras.
These vadas can be made as a snack or an appetizer. These are also popularly served on Indian Street Food stalls. These are typically served with Coriander Chutney, Tamarind Chutney or tomato ketchup.
To make Sabudana Vadas at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Sabudana Vada Recipe | Crispy Sago Fritters
Ingredients For Sabudana Vada Recipe | Crispy Sago Fritters
- 1 Cup Sabudana (Sago/Tapioca Pearls)
- 2 Potatoes
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 2 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Rock Salt (Kala Namak)
- 1 Cup Cooking Oil for frying
Step By Step Instructions for Sabudana Vada Recipe | Crispy Sago Fritters
- Soak sabudana (tapioca) in water overnight for 5-6 hours. When they have become soft, drain all the water using a colander.1 Cup Sabudana (Sago/Tapioca Pearls)
- Boil, peel and mash the potatoes. Add them to a large mixing container along with the sabudana.2 Potatoes
- Roast and coarsely grind the peanuts. Add these to the mixture as well.1/2 Cup Peanuts
- Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt.1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder), 1 Teaspoon Rock Salt (Kala Namak)
- Also add finely chopped green chillies, cumin seeds (jeera) and lemon juice.1-2 Green Chillies, 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 2 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Divide them into small lemon sized portions and shape them into round flat patties.
- Fry the patties in medium hot oil till they turn golden brown. Do not set the heat to a high setting, otherwise the vadas will not get cooked properly from the inside. Drain the excess oil on an absorbent paper.
- Sabudana Vadas are ready. Serve them hot with coriander chutney, tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.