Paneer Tikka is a spicy grilled Indian Cottage Cheese dish. It is hands down one of the most delicious Indian appetizers. Tandoori Paneer Tikka is made from chunks of Paneer which are marinated in yogurt and spices. Additionally diced onions, tomatoes and capsicum are also marinated along with the Paneer.
The grilled soft and juicy pieces of Paneer coated with spices, masalas and sprinkled with salt are a delight to eat. A drizzle of fresh lime juice makes it even better. Tandoori Paneer Tikka is a very popular dish in all Indian restaurants and has also become quite popular worldwide.
This recipe is for the dry Paneer Tikka snack. There is also another popular variation of this dish called Paneer Tikka Masala, where the grilled Paneer is cooked in a spicy gravy and served as a curry along with Indian breads.
Grilling methods for paneer tikka
The authentic way of preparing this dish is to arrange the Paneer and vegetables alternately on a long wooden skewer. It is then grilled traditionally in a Tandoor (earthen oven).
Tandoor ovens are available only in restaurants, but you can use a hot grill to make this dish at home. In this recipe I have shown how to make this dish on tawa (girdle), but I have included instructions for making it in an oven as well.
A great appetizer for any gathering
Paneer Tikka is a great choice as an appetizer for a party. It tastes even better when accompanied by some Mint Chutney. You can also serve a simple Lachcha Salad on the side made with sliced onions, mint leaves and a sprinkling of Chaat Masala and Lemon Juice.
The dish tastes best when served hot. If preparing this dish for a party or gathering, you can marinate the Paneer the previous day or a few hours in advance and then grill it when your guests arrive.
To make Paneer Tikka at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Paneer Tikka Recipe
Ingredients For Paneer Tikka Recipe
- 250 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese)
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onions
- 1 Cup Colored Capsicum (Green, Yellow & Red Bell Peppers)
- 1/2 Cup Strained Yogurt (Curd)
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoon Mustard Oil or any other Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Paneer Tikka Recipe
- Strain yogurt in a muslin cloth to remove water. You can also you Greek yogurt instead. Then beat the yogurt in a large mixing bowl.1/2 Cup Strained Yogurt (Curd)
- Add the ginger-garlic paste to the yogurt. Also add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder (dhania powder), chaat masala, cumin powder (jeera powder) and salt.1 Teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder), 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder), 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil & some lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients to prepare a thick paste.1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Dice the paneer into thick inch cubes. Dice the onions and capsicum (bell peppers) into roughly 1 inch squares. Remove the seeds from the capsicum. You can also add diced tomatoes. Add all the vegetables to the curd.250 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese), 1/2 Cup Diced Onions, 1 Cup Colored Capsicum (Green, Yellow & Red Bell Peppers)
- Mix well to coat the paneer and vegetables with the spicy yogurt paste. Cover the bowl and let the Paneer marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- Arrange the paneer and vegetables on a skewer. Try to have 2 paneer pieces per skewer alternated with 2-3 pieces of vegetables. Ensure that you have roughly the same distribution of the paneer and vegetables on all skewers.
- Then brush oil on a tawa or pan and place the skewers on it. If you don’t have skewers, you can also use toothpicks, or just grill the Paneer directly.
- Let the paneer tikka cook for a minute and then turn it. Cook till the edges of the paneer and vegetables start to char slightly. If making paneer tikka in an oven, you can bake it for 15 minutes at 240 C (450 F) and then broil for 5 minutes to get the char.
- Paneer tikka is ready. You can sprinkle a few drops of lemon juice and some chaat masala on it before serving. Serve it hot along with mint chutney and lachcha salad.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.