Daliya Kheer or Meetha Daliya is a healthy and delicious Indian dessert made with broken or cracked wheat.
Daliya Kheer is a popular breakfast dish in India and more so in Northern part of the country. Dalia is made from whole wheat kernels, which are broken into smaller pieces.
Sweet Dalia is made by cooking Dalia in milk and sugar. Additionally cardamom seeds, fine pieces of almond, saffron and raisins can also be added to enhance the taste and nutrition.
Meetha Daliya is usually served for breakfast or as a dessert, with a meal. Daliya Kheer is considered to be a healthy desert and is common as a sweet item during wedding or festive occasions.
Being a whole wheat product, Dalia is rich in fibers which aids proper digestion and prevents constipation. It also serves as a good source of energy and provides essential nutrients. This delicious dessert is good for those who are on lookout of something light.
Dalia Khichdi, which is savory version of Daliya is also quite popular as a light & delicious meal. It is a wholesome meal & even healthier than Daliya Kheer as it contains vegetables & lentils but contains no sugar.
To make Daliya Kheer at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Daliya Kheer Recipe | Meetha Daliya
Ingredients For Daliya Kheer Recipe | Meetha Daliya
- 1 Cup Daliya (Broken Wheat)
- 2.5 Cups of Water
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee
- 1 Liter Whole Milk
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi Powder)
- 8-10 Saffron Strands (Kesar)
- 1/4 Cup Crushed Dried Fruits like Almonds, Cashew Nuts, Pistachios and Raisins
Step By Step Instructions for Daliya Kheer Recipe | Meetha Daliya
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the daliya (cracked wheat) to it. Roast it on low-medium flame for around 5-8 minutes till it starts to change color and become darker.1 Tablespoon Ghee, 1 Cup Daliya (Broken Wheat)
- Add the dalia in the pressure cooker along with water. Pressure cook till you get one whistle. Then turn the flame to low and cook for 5 more minutes. Let the steam come out before opening the cooker.2.5 Cups of Water
- Add the milk to a pan. Boil it for 10 minutes or till the milk reduces to half. Keep stirring in between to incorporate the milk solids from the side.1 Liter Whole Milk
- Then add the boiled dalia to the milk and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add sugar to the daliya and stir to mix.1/2 Cup Sugar
- Also add some cardamom powder to the meetha dalia. To make fresh cardamom Powder at home, remove the husk of green cardamoms (hari elaichi) and crush the seeds into a fine powder with the help of a mortar and pestle.1 Teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi Powder)
- Daliya Kheer ready. Garnish it with chopped dry fruits and saffron strands (kesar). Serve meetha dalia hot or at room temperature.8-10 Saffron Strands (Kesar), 1/4 Cup Crushed Dried Fruits like Almonds, Cashew Nuts, Pistachios and Raisins
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.