Rice Kheer or Chawal Ki Kheer is a pudding from the Indian subcontinent, made by boiling rice along with milk and sugar. It is typically flavored with spices like cardamom or saffron and dry fruits like almonds, raisins, cashew etc.
It is also known in some regions as payasam, payasa, phirni, firni etc. It can be served during a meal or as a dessert.
Chawal Ki Kheer is very delicious and full of nourishment. It is loved by kids and adults alike.
Out of many varieties of kheer made throughout India, rice kheer is one of the most popular kheer recipes. Variations of this recipe are made with vermicelli, broken wheat, bajra, sabudana (tapioca) etc. instead of rice.
Rice Kheer ranks as the top among traditional, authentic and popular sweet dish of India. It is a complete meal in itself.
Thick and creamy, Rice Kheer tastes delicious and is very soothing and comforting too. Kheer is a favorite sweet dish on Indian festivals and special occasions.
Rice Kheer is best prepared in full cream milk and some prefer milk of buffalo due to its high cream and fat content.
To make Rice Kheer at home follow the detailed step by step recipe posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Rice Kheer Recipe | Chawal Ki Kheer | Rice Pudding
Ingredients For Rice Kheer Recipe | Chawal Ki Kheer | Rice Pudding
- 1 Litre Full Cream Milk
- 1/2 Cup Basmati Rice
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3-4 Cardamom (Elaichi), crushed
- 25-30 Raisins (Kishmish)
- 10-12 Almonds, cut into pieces
- 8-10 Cashew Nuts, cut into pieces
Step By Step Instructions for Rice Kheer Recipe | Chawal Ki Kheer | Rice Pudding
- Boil the milk in a deep pan. After the milk gets boiled, turn the heat to low.1 Litre Full Cream Milk
- Wash rice 3-4 times and put them into the boiling milk.1/2 Cup Basmati Rice
- Allow it to simmer on low flame for atleast half an hour till the rice is cooked. Stir it in between at regular intervals to ensure that the mixture does not stick to the bottom and gets burnt.
- The mixture will start to thicken when the rice has been cooked and the volume of the milk gets reduced.
- Add sugar to the mixture, stir and boil it for a couple of minutes.3/4 Cup Sugar
- Now switch off the flame and add crushed cardamom, raisins (Kishmish) and small pieces of almond and cashews.3-4 Cardamom (Elaichi), crushed, 25-30 Raisins (Kishmish), 10-12 Almonds, cut into pieces, 8-10 Cashew Nuts, cut into pieces
- Rice Kheer is ready. Garnish it with dry fruits before serving. It tastes delicious when eaten both hot and cold.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.