Crumb cake is a soft and moist coffee cake made with sour cream and curd. It is topped with a layer of crunchy and crumbly cinnamon streusel.
The cake has a warm but sharp taste. The base of the cake is moist and melts in the mouth, while the streusel topping adds a beautiful crunch and bite to the cake.
The cake is really easy to make requiring only minimal ingredients. Enjoy a warm piece of this cake as a dessert or as breakfast with a hot cup of coffee.
This recipe was submitted by Anita Dave as part of our Eggless Baking Recipe Contest.
To make Crumb Cake at home follow the detailed step by step recipe posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Crumb Cake Recipe | Eggless Crumb Coffee Cake Muffins
Ingredients For Crumb Cake Recipe | Eggless Crumb Coffee Cake Muffins
For the Crumb Topping
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
For the Cake
- 1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Plain Curd
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Step By Step Instructions for Crumb Cake Recipe | Eggless Crumb Coffee Cake Muffins
Preparing the crumb topping
- To prepare the crumb topping, mix brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon powder and salt in a bowl.1/4 Cup Brown Sugar, 1/4 Cup White Sugar, 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Add melted butter and whisk to blend the ingredients.1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- Add the all purpose flour and mix it with a fork to create a crumbly mixture. Set the topping aside.1 Cup All Purpose Flour
Preparing the cake
- To prepare the cake, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl till the mixture becomes light and fluffy.1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- Add curd, sour cream, milk and vanilla essence to the bowl and blend them together.1/2 Cup Sour Cream, 1/2 Cup Milk, 1/2 Cup Plain Curd, 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Separately mix all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour, 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda, 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder, 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture by the spoonful, slowly blending till all the mixture is incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to a greased baking tray for making a cake or in a muffin tray for making muffins. Sprinkle the prepared topping evenly over the batter.
- Bake the cake/muffins in a preheated oven at 180 C or 350 F for around 40 minutes. The topping will be crisp and golden brown in color.
- Crumb Cake is ready. Let it cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
8 thoughts on “Crumb Cake Recipe | Eggless Crumb Coffee Cake Muffins”
What size baking dish??
You can use one of the size and shape of your choice. But I generally use a 12 cup muffin pan with 3.5oz capacity.
Hi What can you use to substitute the sour cream?
It is generally substituted with either Milk & Butter or Curd (Yogurt) and Baking Powder. In this recipe, just increase quantity of Curd by 1/2 Cup.
I thought you meant cottage cheese for curd. I used sour cream, yogurt and vanilla oat milk and it came out very good.
That sounds like a nice combination to try out as well 😀
Hi! Would like to know if I can use 1/2 cup cane sugar instead of 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup sugar?
Hey Angela, yeah you can use 1/2 Cup Cane sugar instead.