Corn, zucchini, and black bean tacos are a delightful and flavorful vegetarian or vegan dish that features a savory filling of sautéed or grilled zucchini, roasted corn kernels, and black beans, wrapped in soft tortillas.
This flavorful Mexican recipe combines the sweetness of corn, the subtle crunch of zucchini, and the richness of black beans into a wholesome recipe. A smear of tangy green salsa along with sliced avocados rounds up all the flavors deliciously.
These tacos not only offer a delightful combination of textures and flavors but are also colorful and visually appealing. You can customize them to suit your preferences by adding or omitting ingredients & toppings as you like.
Main ingredients for the filling
The following are the main ingredients for the filling of corn, zucchini & black bean tacos –
- Corn – roasted corn kernels are a key ingredient for these tacos and add a subtle smokiness, sweetness and crunch to the recipe. You can use fresh or frozen corn kernels for this recipe. The corn can be roasted in the oven or in the pan. You can also roast it on open flames/grill if using fresh corn.
- Zucchini – sliced zucchini adds slight crispiness and body to the filling. You can saute or grill the zucchini as per your preference.
- Black beans – canned or boiled black beans make the filling hearty & satisfying and are also a great source of plant based protein.
- Taco seasoning – really adds a depth of flavor to the filling. While it can be easily found in store, I prefer to use homemade seasoning especially since it can be made with very simple & readily available ingredients like cumin powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt.
Toppings for the tacos
Other than the main ingredients mentioned above, you can add various toppings to your tacos to enhance their flavor. You can vary the toppings based on your preferences, I have used the following –
- Salsa Verde (green salsa) – although technically not a core component necessary for these tacos, I recommend not skipping it. The tangy salsa made with green tomatillos, green chillies, garlic, lime juice and some spices, is super easy to make and adds a delicious vibrant flavor and spice to the recipe.
- Avocado – sliced avocado adds a delicious creaminess and richness to the tacos and make it more healthy & filling. However, you can skip them if you want.
- Diced onions & tomatoes & coriander leaves – I like to add freshly chopped onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves on top of the tacos for added freshness, crunch and color. You can also dress them with some lemon juice, salt & pepper for extra flavor.
- Cotija cheese – for some texture, saltiness and taste. You can also use queso fresco, feta or skip it altogether for a vegan version.
How to choose tortillas for the tacos?
Soft tortilla shells make the base of the tacos to hold the filling and the choice of tortilla will affect the overall taste & texture of your tacos.
My favorite option is the traditional corn tortillas, as they work the best with the flavor of these tacos and provide a more authentic experience. Whole wheat tortillas can also be used since they are a healthy option for the base.
Corn, zucchini and black bean tacos are a nutritious and well balanced dish –
- The black beans and vegetables in this recipe provide a good amount of dietary fiber.
- The beans are also a great source of protein for vegetarian diets.
- Vegetables like zucchini and corn provide antioxidants and essential vitamins & minerals like vitamins C, potassium etc.
- They are also relatively low on saturated fats and are good for heart health.
To enhance the nutrition of the dish, use healthier corn or whole wheat tortillas compared to refined flour tortillas. Avoid loading your tacos with high-calorie toppings like cheese and sour cream.
While these tacos are best enjoyed fresh, you can prepare the filling & salsas in advance and refrigerate them. For small gatherings, the toppings can be laid out for your guests to assemble their own tacos, to create a fun enjoyable experience.
The tacos can be had as a snack or as a complete meal. You can serve them along with a side of simple green salad or fruit salsa. You can also serve additional roasted veggies or potatoes along with it.
To make corn, zucchini and black bean tacos at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Corn, Zucchini & Black Bean Tacos Recipe
Ingredients For Corn, Zucchini & Black Bean Tacos Recipe
For the filling
- 1 Cup Sweet Corn Kernels
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Jalapeño
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Cup Black Beans cooked
- 1.5 Teaspoons Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
For the green salsa
- 5-6 Tomatillos (Green Tomatoes)
- 1/2 Small Onion
- 1 Green Chilli
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cooking Oil
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Tablespoons Onion finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya) finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Cotija Cheese optional
Step By Step Instructions for Corn, Zucchini & Black Bean Tacos Recipe
Preparing the filling
- Heat some oil in a pan and add corn kernels and roast them on medium heat.1 Cup Sweet Corn Kernels
- Cook till they are slightly charred on both sides, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat some more oil. Then add some finely chopped onions, jalapenos and minced garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes.1 Small Onion, 1 Jalapeño, 4 Garlic Cloves
- Then add diced zucchini to the pan.1 Zucchini
- Cook on medium flame for 3-4 minutes till the zucchini is roasted.
- Then add the roasted corn and cooked black beans to the pan.1 Cup Black Beans
- Add all the spices like cumin powder, garlic powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, oregano and salt.1.5 Teaspoons Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch), 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Oregano, 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Then set the prepared filling aside.
Making the green salsa
- Place diced tomatillos, onions, green chillies and garlic cloves on a lined baking tray. Brush them will a little bit of oil.5-6 Tomatillos (Green Tomatoes), 1/2 Small Onion, 1 Green Chilli, 3-4 Garlic Cloves, 1 Teaspoon Cooking Oil
- Bake them at 200 C or 400 F for 10 minutes till they are cooked.
- Add them to a blender along with some lime juice, red chilli powder, black pepper powder and salt.1 Tablespoon Lime Juice, 1/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch), 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Add spoonful of water if needed and grind the mixture to a smooth paste.
- The green salsa is ready. Set it aside.
Assemblin the tacos
- Peel, pit and cut the avocado into thin slices.1 Avocado
- Heat the tortillas on a pan for 30 seconds on each side.12 Corn Tortillas
- Spread a layer of the green salsa on the tortilla.
- Place 1-2 slices of avocado on the tortilla.
- Then place a large spoonful of the prepared corn, zucchini and black bean filling on top.
- Sprinkle some finely chopped onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves, cotija cheese or any other toppings of your choice on top.2 Tablespoons Onion, 2 Tablespoons Tomato, 2 Tablespoons Cotija Cheese, 2 Tablespoons Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- Corn, zucchini and black bean tacos are ready. Serve them fresh with any salsa and toppings as needed.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.