Methi Malai Paneer is a creamy Indian curry made from fresh fenugreek leaves (methi), chunks of paneer (Indian cottage cheese), malai (cream) and spices.
The dish is characterized by a rich gravy which is made from onions, cashews, almonds, some spices and cream. Paneer adds to the taste of rich creamy gravy and fenugreek lends it a unique taste and aroma.
This dish is a great way to put a twist on the normal paneer curries that are generally prepared for special occasions. Not only does this curry taste and look great, but it is also quite healthy.
This dish is very rich in proteins due to the addition of paneer, malai, cashews & almonds. It also packs the health benefits of fenugreek leaves making it a great choice for curries.
However, it is slightly on the higher side in terms of fat content. If you want to cut down on the fat, you can use milk instead of cream for making the curry. You can also skip adding cashews and almonds.
Methi Malai Paneer can be had with all Indian breads like rotis or parathas and goes very well with naan and missi roti. An additional garnish of fresh cream can make this dish more tempting and delicious.
To make Methi Malai Paneer at home take a look at the video or follow the detailed step by step recipe posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Methi Malai Matar
- Aloo Methi
- Palak Paneer
- Kadai Paneer Gravy
- Paneer Bhurji
- Dry Kadai Paneer
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Malai Kofta
Suggested recipe collections :
- Paneer Recipes | 22 Easy Indian Paneer Recipes
- Methi Recipes | 7 Indian Fenugreek Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Methi Malai Paneer Recipe | Fenugreek & Paneer Curry
* Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for more videos.
Ingredients For Methi Malai Paneer Recipe | Fenugreek & Paneer Curry
- 2 Medium Sized Onions
- 2 Medium Sized Tomatoes
- 250 Gram Paneer, cut in cubes
- 1 Cup Fresh Fenugreek Leaves (Methi)
- 2 Green Chillies
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 7-8 Cashews, soaked in water
- 4-5 Almonds, soaked in water
- 1/4 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sugar, optional
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Methi Malai Paneer Recipe | Fenugreek & Paneer Curry
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds (jeera) in it. Roast them for a few seconds till they start to crackle.1 Tablespoon Oil, 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Add chopped onions to the pan and saute for a couple minutes.2 Medium Sized Onions
- Also add a paste of ginger garlic and green chillies.2 Green Chillies, 1 Inch Ginger, 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- Fry the mixture till it turns golden brown in color.
- Add finely chopped or pureed tomatoes to the pan.2 Medium Sized Tomatoes
- Cook the mixture till the raw aroma of tomatoes goes away.
- Soak cashews and almonds in warm water for around 20 minutes. Then grind them to a smooth paste and add them to the gravy.7-8 Cashews, soaked in water, 4-5 Almonds, soaked in water
- After the gravy is cooked, let it first cool down and then make a fine smooth paste of it in a blender.
- In the same pan as earlier, add fenugreek leaves (methi) and fry them for a minute.1 Cup Fresh Fenugreek Leaves (Methi)
- Add the gravy paste to the pan and mix it well with the fenugreek leaves.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and sugar (optional) to the gravy and mix well.1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Salt or as per taste, 1/2 Teaspoon Sugar, optional
- Now add some malai or whipping cream to the gravy. You can also add some water to adjust the consistency of the gravy.1/4 Cup Whipping Cream
- When the gravy is sone, add paneer cubes and let them cook for 3-4 minutes till they become soft.250 Gram Paneer, cut in cubes
- Methi Malai Paneer is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and paneer gratings and serve it hot with any Indian bread or rice.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
5 thoughts on “Methi Malai Paneer Recipe | Fenugreek & Paneer Curry”
It doesn’t specify, do I use dry methi or fresh leaves
Hey Evani, I have used fresh Methi leaves here.
What could I substitute whipped cream with? As I am looking for a ingredient with lesser calories.
Hey Sanju, If you don’t want to change the taste you can use Milk instead of Cream to make it lighter. If you are looking for an even healthier option, you can use Curd. That will change the flavor profile slightly, but the dish will still taste great.
Another recommendation for a low calorie version is to skip adding the almond and cashew nut paste, as that adds quite a lot of calories. Let me know how it turns out. 🙂