Kadai Paneer is a very simple and easy preparation of Paneer (Indian cottage cheese). This dish is prepared by sautéing paneer cubes & capsicum in an onion tomato gravy flavored with special spice mixture known as Kadai Masala.
The kadai masala is prepared by dry roasting and grinding some signature Indian spices most notably, dry red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds and whole black peppercorns. Using these freshly ground spices gives this dish a delectable flavor.
This is one of the simplest preparations of paneer and the dish retains the original authentic taste of paneer coupled with the tanginess of other ingredients and spices.
If you want you can lightly roast or fry the paneer cubes before adding them in the gravy. This greatly enhances the taste of paneer, specially if it’s store bought.
This recipe is for a dry version of Kadai Paneer that is often served in Indian Restaurants. You can also make a version with gravy if you want.
To make Kadai Paneer at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Kadai Paneer Gravy – gravy version of kadai paneer
- Paneer Tikka Masala – marinated & grilled paneer in gravy
- Paneer Butter Masala – paneer cooked in rich buttery gravy
- Matar Paneer – peas & paneer curry
- Paneer Capsicum Masala – panner & capsicum in gravy
- Veg Kadai – smoky mix veg curry
- Methi Malai Paneer – fenugreek & paneer curry
- Palak Paneer – paneer in spinach curry
- Malai Kofta – fried paneer dumplings in gravy
Suggested recipe collections :
- Paneer Recipes | 20 Easy Indian Paneer Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 30 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 18 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Category: Main Course
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Kadai Paneer Recipe
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum / Shimla Mirch)
- 250 Gram Paneer, cut in cubes
- 4-5 Cloves of Garlic
- ~1 Inch Ginger
- 2 Teaspoons Coriander Seeds
- 3-4 Dried Red Chillies
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 2 Teaspoons Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 2 Teaspoons Salt or as per taste
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar or 1 Teaspoon Honey, optional
- 1 Tablespoon Crushed Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Kadai Paneer Recipe
Roast Cumin Seeds, Dried Red Chillies, Coriander Seeds and Fennel Seeds (Saunf) on low heat till they become slightly dark and fragrant.
Grind it to a coarse powder with a mortar and pestle. Adding freshly ground spices greatly enhances the taste of this dish.
Heat oil in a pan and add the ground spice powder to it.
Roast it on low flame for a minute. Do not overcook the spices otherwise they will become bitter.
Add finely chopped or pureed onions to the gravy and fry it for 2 minutes.
Add finely chopped or grated Ginger and Garlic and roast them.
Add tomato puree to the pan and cook till the raw smell of tomatoes goes away.
Add the dry spice powders, Turmeric Powder (Haldi), Red Chilli Powder, Garam Masala, Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder), Crushed Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi), Salt and Sugar. (The photo doesn't show all the spices.)
Add diced capsicum to the gravy. Add 1 Cup water to the gravy and cook for a few minutes.
Finally add the Paneer cubes. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes till the Paneer is cooked.
Kadai Paneer is ready. Garnish it with chopped Coriander and serve it hot with any Indian Bread like Naan, Missi Roti, Lachha Parantha.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.