Matar paneer is a delicious curry made of paneer cubes and fresh peas cooked in a rich, spicy and tangy gravy. Matar paneer is one of my favorite North Indian dishes.
Matar paneer is a popular dish ordered in Indian restaurants and is also a favorite on special occasions and parties. The dish has its origin in north Indian state of Punjab and is popular more in north, although now it has gained a much wider footprint.
What is paneer?
Paneer is a type of fresh, soft cottage cheese native to the Indian subcontinent. Paneer recipes are an integral part of Indian cooking. Paneer is a versatile dairy product and is used in an assortment of Indian curries, snacks and sweets.
Healthy & delicious
Matar paneer curry is rich in proteins. While peas are packed with proteins and are low in carbohydrates, the other dominant ingredient paneer which is made from whole milk is rich in proteins and calcium.
The near perfect combination of mild sweetness of fresh Peas, coupled with paneer cubes along with tanginess of tomatoes in a spicy and creamy gravy makes this dish thoroughly delectable.
Matar paneer forms part of Indian main course meal and goes very well with most Indian breads like phulkas, naan, tandoori roti, paratha, poori etc. as well as with rice varieties like veg pulao, jeera rice or even plain rice.
Many times matar paneer is made a few hours prior to actual serving of the dish. This is to allow Paneer to soak curry which makes it more delectable.
To make Matar Paneer at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Kadai Paneer Gravy – gravy version of kadai paneer
- Paneer Butter Masala – paneer cooked in rich buttery gravy
- Paneer Tikka Masala – marinated & grilled paneer in gravy
- Dry Kadai Paneer – dry version of kadai paneer
- Paneer Makhani – paneer cooked in a buttery tomato gravy
- Paneer Capsicum Masala – paneer & capsicum in gravy
- Methi Malai Paneer – fenugreek & paneer curry
- Palak Paneer – paneer in spinach curry
- Malai Kofta – fried paneer dumplings in gravy
- Stuffed Tomato – paneer stuffed tomatoes in gravy
Suggested recipe collections :
- Paneer Recipes | 25 Easy Indian Paneer Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 36 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Matar Paneer Recipe
Ingredients For Matar Paneer Recipe
- 250 gm Paneer
- 1 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 2 Large Tomatoes or 3/4 cup Tomato Puree
- 2 Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)
- ~1 inch piece of Ginger
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tablespoon Cream (Malai) or 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 3-4 Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Matar Paneer Recipe
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds to it. Wait till they start to crackle.
- Add finely chopped or pureed onions to the pan and saute over low to medium flame for 2-3 minutes. Add ginger-garlic paste and finely chopped green Chillies. Saute for some more time till onions turn translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, Red chilli powder and salt to taste. Stir to mix the ingredients. Saute for half minute.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- Add tomato puree and mix. Let it cook & reduce to a paste till oil starts to ooze from sides. Continue to stir in between.
- Add cream (malai) or milk to the pan.2 Tablespoon Cream (Malai) or 1/2 cup Milk
- Mix all the ingredients well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water to adjust the consistency of the gravy. Stir continuously till water starts boiling.
- Add fresh peas to the pan and stir to mix them. Cook them for 4-5 minutes.
- When the green peas are soft, add paneer cubes.
- Cook the ingredients till boiling just starts. Garnish matar paneer with fresh chopped coriander leaves and stir to mix. You can also add kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) at this stage.
- Matar paneer is ready. Serve matar paneer hot with butter naan, plain paratha, poori, roti or rice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.