Sun-Dried Tomato and Pesto Pasta is a popular preparation that traces its origins to Mediterranean regions. In this recipe a savoury, creamy pesto sauce is combined with fresh-cooked pasta and sun-dried tomatoes.
The sun-dried tomatoes give a summery salty taste to this tangy dish. The pesto sauce made with fresh Basil leaves and Garlic give it an irresistibly delicious flavor. You can also add roasted veggies to this pasta to make it more wholesome and nutritious.
This sauce goes well with a variety of Pastas and I have used Rotini in this recipe. Since this sauce is slightly drier and chunkier, the swirls and grooves of Rotini are perfect to hold on to it. You can opt for any different pasta like fusilli, penne or gemelli for this recipe.
The traditional preparation of pesto sauce calls for roasted pine nuts to be added to the sauce. However, you can easily replace them with roasted almonds, walnuts or cashews, to get the delicious crunch & texture.
Sun-Dried Tomato and Pesto Pasta is easy to make, takes very little preparation time and is a great comfort food.
To make Sun-Dried Tomato & Pesto Pasta at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Sun-Dried Tomato And Pesto Pasta Recipe
Ingredients For Sun-Dried Tomato And Pesto Pasta Recipe
For the Pasta
- 2 Cups Rotini Pasta
- 2 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Cups Water
For the Sauce
- 1 Cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, packed in Olive Oil
- 2 Cup Basil Leaves
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 Cup Almonds (Baadam)
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Step By Step Instructions for Sun-Dried Tomato And Pesto Pasta Recipe
For cooking the pasta
- Heat water in a large pot and add oil and salt in it.2 Teaspoon Olive Oil, 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Add the pasta in the water and cook it for 8-10 minutes according to package instructions stirring occasionally.2 Cups Rotini Pasta, 4 Cups Water
- Cook the pasta al dente. It should be still slightly firm when bitten.
- Remove the pasta from the water and set it aside. Save the cooking water for later to use in the sauce. Run the pasta under cold water in a strainer to prevent it from cooking further.
For preparing the pasta sauce
- In a blender or food processor, combine basil leaves and sun dried tomatoes. If needed you can add a little olive oil as well, however the sun-dried tomatoes are already packed in olive oil which has soaked up flavor from the tomatoes, so you will not need to add too much extra oil.2 Cup Basil Leaves, 1 Cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, packed in Olive Oil
- Lightly toast the almonds in a skillet. Now add the garlic cloves, roasted almonds, salt, black pepper powder and lemon juice.3-4 Garlic Cloves, 1/4 Cup Almonds (Baadam), 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch), 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, 1 Teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- Grind the mixture to a thick chunky sauce.
- Transfer the sauce to a pan and cook it on medium heat for a couple of minutes.
For final assembly
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce.
- Toss the pasta to coat it in the sauce. Add some of the pasta water that you had saved earlier to thin the sauce slightly.
- Season with some fresh basil leaves and grated parmesan cheese (skip for a vegan version). Serve the pasta hot or at room temperature along with some garlic bread.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.