Pink Sauce Pasta also known as Rose Pasta, is an Italian dish made by tossing pasta noodles in a creamy pink sauce.
What is pink sauce?
Pink sauce is made from a blend of red tomato sauce and white sauce and so the resulting pasta sauce is colored pink. This sauce is the best of both worlds, as it combines the delicious flavor of sweet tangy tomatoes along with the rich creamy texture of white sauce.
The red sauce is typically made with garlic, onion, tomato puree, cheese along with chilli and Italian herbs. The white sauce is made by simmering milk along with roasted plain flour. The mixture of these two sauces results in a rich creamy and tangy pink sauce.
What veggies to add to the pink sauce pasta?
You can add a variety of vegetable to enhance the flavor and nutrition of your pasta. I have added zucchini and bell peppers to this recipe.
You can add any other vegetables like spinach, mushrooms, squash, broccoli, carrots, sweet corn etc. to the pasta.
How to make this pasta healthier?
In general, pink sauce pasta is likely to be high in carbohydrates and calories, as pasta is made from wheat flour and the sauce often contains cream and cheese. It may also be high in fat and sodium.
There are several ways to enhance the nutrition of pink sauce pasta :
- You can use whole wheat pasta or lentil pasta instead of white pasta. Whole wheat pasta is higher in fiber and other nutrients than white pasta. Lentil pasta will add more protein to the dish.
- Add vegetables to the sauce. You can add diced bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, or zucchini. This will increase the nutritional value of the sauce and also add more flavor.
- Use fresh tomatoes to make the puree, or low sodium canned tomatoes. This will help to reduce the amount of sodium in the sauce.
- Use a low-fat dairy product. Instead of heavy cream, you can use low-fat milk to make the sauce.
- Add some lean protein like tofu to the pasta. This will help to make it a more balanced meal.
- Use herbs and spices for flavoring instead of salt. This will help to reduce the amount of sodium in the dish.
- Serve with a side of salad or steamed vegetables, it will increase the fiber and other essential nutrients in the overall meal.
You can serve pink sauce pasta as a main course along with garlic bread, green salad or soup. It can also be served as a side dish to grilled food dishes. It can also be served as an appetizer or starter for parties.
You can also top the pasta with grated cheese and bake it in the oven until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Another interesting way to eat this salad, is to cook the pasta, rinse it with cold water and toss with sauce. Then you can refrigerate it for an hour and serve it as a cold pasta.
To make Pink Sauce Pasta at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Pink Sauce Pasta Recipe | Red & White Sauce Pasta
Ingredients For Pink Sauce Pasta Recipe | Red & White Sauce Pasta
For cooking the pasta
- 2 Cup Penne Pasta
- 2 Teaspoons Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
For making the white sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Maida (Plain Flour)
- 1 Cup Milk
For making the pasta
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Cup Diced Bell Peppers (Capsicum)
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 3 Tablespoon Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Red Chilli Flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Oregano
- 1/2 Tablespoon Mixed Italian Seasoning
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 Cup Grated Mozzarella
- 1 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese
Step By Step Instructions for Pink Sauce Pasta Recipe | Red & White Sauce Pasta
- Heat water in a pot and add penne pasta to it. Add some oil and salt to prevent the pasta from sticking together. Cover the pot and cook the pasta as per the cooking instructions on the packet. Then drain and set aside.2 Cup Penne Pasta, 2 Teaspoons Oil, 1 Teaspoon Salt
- The to make the white sauce, add some butter to a pan. Then add some maida (plain flour) to the pan.2 Tablespoons Butter, 2 Tablespoons Maida (Plain Flour)
- Roast it for a minute till the maida is cooked.
- Then add milk to the pan slowly and whisk the mixture. Bring it to a boil and cook it for 2-3 minutes to make a silky sauce. Then set the sauce aside.1 Cup Milk
- In a different pan, heat some butter in a pan.1 Tablespoon Butter
- Then add some minced garlic to the pan and cook for a minute.3 Cloves Garlic
- Add finely chopped onions as well. Fry them for 2-3 minutes till they become translucent.1 Small Onion
- Add diced zucchini to the pan.1 Zucchini
- Also add diced bell peppers.1 Cup Diced Bell Peppers (Capsicum)
- Cook the vegetables for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add tomato puree to the pan. I have blanched 2 tomatoes in the microwave for 3 minutes and removed their skin to make a puree. You can also use canned tomato puree.2 Tomatoes
- Simmer the tomato puree for 5-6 minutes till the tomatoes are cooked and the gravy reduces.
- Then add some tomato ketchup to the gravy and mix well.2 Tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- Add some chopped fresh basil leaves to the pan.3 Tablespoon Fresh Basil Leaves
- Then add red chilli flakes, black pepper powder, oregano, mixed Italian seasoning and salt.1 Tablespoon Red Chilli Flakes, 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, 1/2 Tablespoon Oregano, 2 Teaspoons Salt, 1/2 Tablespoon Mixed Italian Seasoning
- Mix all the ingredients well and cook for a minute.
- Add the white sauce prepared earlier to the gravy.
- Mix the white sauce with the gravy. Add a few tablespoons of water if needed to adjust the consistency.
- Add grated mozzarella cheese to the sauce.1/4 Cup Grated Mozzarella
- Mix well till the cheese melts and incorporates well into the gravy.
- Then add the cooked pasta to the pan. Fold to mix well with the sauce.
- Pink sauce pasta is ready. Serve it hot, garnished with basil and grated parmesan cheese.1 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.